1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My "Slap Shot" book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Nov 18, 2008.

1. maberger

maberger Member

how much do you have from the carlsons?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I tried various methods of reaching her but she does not want to be interviewed. She wished me the best of luck through a mutual contact. I did speak with her brother Ned, though, and I have a ton of clippings from 1976 and 1977 when she was interviewed extensively about the film.

If you mean John Gofton, who played Nick Brophy, he was great to talk with. If you mean John Brophy, I didn't bother with him. The oft-repeated story that he was the inspiration for Reggie Dunlop is not true.

I did lengthy interviews with Steve Carlson and Dave Hanson, plus I attended a Hanson Brothers event last year near Buffalo and got some pictures of the three of them together.

As for Dave Hanson's new book, I bought it and it's got some neat anecdotes about the filming, but it doesn't go to the lengths my book does in terms of detailing exactly how the story was inspired and the process by which it became a screenplay that eventually got to George Roy Hill and, through him, to Paul Newman.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Who own da John Wiley and Sons?

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Owwwwwns . . . owwwwwns!

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

This is awesome. I will read this, probably more than once.

Have a Fresca... grape or orange, and none of that stinkin' root beer.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Paul Dooley is 80 years old right now. A fine actor who has done a bunch of stuff and he was in two of my all-time favorite sports movies -- Breaking Away as the dad (Raymond Stoller) and a bit part in Slap Shot as the Hyannisport Announcer (where the Hansons fight the fans in the stands). I wonder if he'd have anything good to add.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was Ned Braden really All Eastern at Princeton? I mean, I know that's what it said in the yearbook.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I will buy this book. Sounds fantastic.

Regarding the legacy of the film, did you include anything about the 2004 documentary The Chiefs?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's an incredible movie.

JJ, I heard the guy who plays Brophy lives in Tilsonburg. Is that true?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

He did. :)

He got the job through his friend Andrew Duncan, who of course played the immortal Jim Carr. Both had been members of The Compass Players, the direct forerunner of Second City in Chicago (Duncan was a founding member of the latter troupe).

He was not All-Eastern at Princeton, nor was Mike Ontkean ever All-Eastern at the University of New Hampshire, but by at least one accounts he did lead the NCAA Division I in goals during the 1967-68 season. :)

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Still my favorite sports movie and still an almost nightly source of laughs at the office. We have several deskers who are big-time into hockey.
    One of our guys has a collection of minor league hockey jerseys, he can wear a different one almost every day.
    "Hanrahan ... your wife sucks pussy."
    I was covering the Kings when this movie debuted. I went to a pre-screening in Hollywood that the team was invited to. There were some pretty uncomfortable moments because most of the players brought their wives/girlfriends.
    Strother Martin was in an episode of "Big Valley" that I watched a couple of weeks ago. Every scene he was in, all I could think about was him mimicking the guy jerking off in the penalty box.
    Send a case to our office. I'm sure there will be plenty of takers.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's true, Huggy, he lives in Tillsonburg, home of one of the newest entrants in the WOAA Senior Hockey League. He was also a teammate of Paul Henderson when the Hamilton Red Wings won the Memorial Cup in 1962.

And, NOLU, I spoke with two brothers who were instrumental in "The Chiefs" - one was a player and the other produced the film.

Draft saved Draft deleted