1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My "Slap Shot" book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hi everybody. I'm writing a book about the film "Slap Shot." It's the behind-the-scenes story that details the inspiration for and creation, production and legacy of our favourite hockey movie, and it'll be published next fall by John Wiley and Sons in Canada and the United States.

I've lost count of the number of people I've met and spoken with about the film - most of the cast members (including the late Paul Newman, before he became ill), significant members of the crew, people in Johnstown, Pa., where the movie was both inspired and filmed, and even the studio president who gave the final approval to make the movie.

I'm obviously very excited about this project, and I would like to touch base with fellow journalists who would be interested in being on the "media contact" list I am submitting to my publisher.

If you're interested, I'd love to hear from you and I would certainly appreciate your help - please send me a PM with your name, affiliation and contact information (phone and e-mail).

Thank you!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You trying to capture the spirit of the thing?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did you underline certain parts of the book?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it doesn't sell, are you going to the fucking Chrysler plant?

5. mb

mb Active Member

Dammit, I can't help myself ...

Will you underline the fuck scenes for me?

/back to lurking now

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Will you refer to opposing authors as "little scalps?"

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

That, as a matter of fact, is the tentative subtitle. :)

"The Story of Slap Shot: Capturing the Spirit of the Thing."

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Will there be scouts?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Funny you should mention that, because I'm still debating on whether to include the bit about a certain well-known Johnstown player who was stepping out with a teammate's wife during the filming of the movie. :eek:

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If she was a lesbian, would that make him a fag?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think you have to!

Are you going to have your signing party at the Aces?

Oh, and when will I get to read this. Because I WILL read it, whether the fuck scenes are underlined or not.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I am hoping to do a launch or an event in Johnstown at some point.....might have to settle for the War Memorial, though!

FH, if you're interested in reviewing some of the manuscript and offering some constructive criticism, I'd be delighted. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted