1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"my sister's keeper"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jun 23, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

cameron diaz was just promoting this flick on the tonight show. opens friday and looks luke the kind of sappy movie i'm a sucker for but i fear it will suck despite a winning cast and the direction of nick cassavetes.

is there a buzz? the cast/plot details: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078588/

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I would strongly suggest the book, which is amazing. If it has Cameron Diaz on it, it won't do the book justice. She doesn't do dramatic stuff well.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I saw the trailer tonight. So what, is Abigail Breslin just going to let her sister die or something?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wife loved the book and gets misty-eyed AT THE PREVIEWS!!! for the movie. She expects it to be excellent, though I agree with Sportschick re: Cameron Diaz and will go so far as to say I think Cameron displayed her acting ceiling in The Mask.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's my biggest concern. think the studio demanded diaz be casted? you'd think there'd be a long line of more accomplished actresses eager for the role, no? i mean this has "terms of endearment" written all over it, in theory.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, considering the dad is Eric McCormick from "Will and Grace," it's not like they're casting titans in the adult roles. So who knows? Maybe the movie was acquired fairly cheaply and the studio is surprised at the buzz the book has created.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

dad is jason patric, byh. but point taken. ;) ;) ;)

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Shockey beat me to it. And Patric seems like a good choice for that role, in a movie I doubt I'll see. I still haven't recovered from my wife's recovery from reading/seeing The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Don't need another movie like that right now.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shit. Really? I swore McCormick was in it.

Well, Patric is the goods...was awesome in Rush. So yeah, no idea why they'd go with Diaz. Does indeed sound like a studio demand.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Maybe BYH is the one who gets misty-eyed during commercials, making Patric look like McCormack.

And BYH, you lay off Trust Me, dammit!

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

The book was excellent. I'm sure the movie will not be nearly as good, as they never are.

(wow, that last sentence is rough, but I'm too tired to rewrite it).

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think Diaz is that big a name any more that studios are going to make her a make-or-break proposition to get movies done. I would guess just as likely her agent said, "hey, haven't had any big smash hit madcap romantic comedies in the last few years, Carmen is coasting into her late 30s and beyond, better get a couple of serious roles onto her resume."

Draft saved Draft deleted