1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My rant... they ruined trading cards and I’m still bitter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Jun 4, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I bought a T-shirt online last year from a retro clothing company and inside the box was a baseball pack from around 1990. My teenage daughter opened it and quizzed me on the players -- one of those rare moments as a parent when I looked really, really smart.

garrow and BrownScribe like this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I have basketball and football cards from the early to mid 70s, including the ABA

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Any WFL cards (if such things existed)?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No. NFL NBA and ABA. Wilt Chamberlain. Jerry West. Phil Jackson

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

heyabbott likes this.
  6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Only good timing I ever had that wasn’t real estate.

In 1988, I scrambled together $25 for both the 86-87 and 87-88 Fleer basketball sets. Mail order from Wisconsin. Jordan “rookie” from
    86-87.

Mowed a few more lawns. Bought three more sets.

Then it exploded. While my 1988 Topps and Score sets cratered at $18, I saw the basketball sets take off. That 86-87 Fleer set shot up from $12 to $100 to $200 to $500. All within 18 months.

On the Billy Ripken Fuck Face weekend in 1989, I was at a card show and looking to sell some of the NBA cards. This old cagey veteran of the game says “kid, I’ll pay you $250 cash for the set today but why don’t you hang onto it for a year? Just trust me. Best investment you’ll ever get. “

He said once Jordan broke through to the finals, I could name my price.

At 16, I took my mom to a huge card show and brought my Fleer sets. We had a deal on my car where the payments were $144 a month. I paid $72 a month to her.

After a half hour of back and forth with the card dealers, I gave her a stack of cash that covered my car payments until college. She still says that was one of the coolest days.

I’m not brilliant. Life evens out. Five years later, I lost thousands on Equinox MLM in college when I got caught up with the wrong crowd. Perhaps a college kid who had two convertibles in college (granted, paid for with deliveries pizza) was an easy mark. What a dumb as I was.

playthrough likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Stick in the knife and twist it, why doncha?

;)

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I have some WFL cards.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Seriously, who the fuck has ever called Brady "Tom Terrific," except maybe that ball-gurgler Jim Nantz?

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

No way! That is outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted