1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My rant... they ruined trading cards and I’m still bitter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Trading cards are the same material that a cereal box is made out of. They cost essentially nothing to produce. Why the fuck can’t they sell 20 general cards for two bucks?

Fuck collectors. Fuck selling them. Fuck trying to get the perfect card.

Just let me collect. Just let me open a pack and try to get all the players from my favorite team. Just let me look at the stats on the back of the card again.

If you want to sell five cards for five dollars to the fucks that sell them, let them have that, but why did you fuck up collecting?

Rant over

Fuck them

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is this about the "scandal" lately with the graders/authenticators? I was on Twitter last night and saw something from Darren Rovell about it, which took me down the rabbit hole for a few minutes -- the most time I've spent on baseball cards since I was in grade school, collecting Topps 1980s sets. But I didn't care what anything was worth, I just liked alphabetizing and organizing the cards in binders by teams. Though now I've been lugging a large plastic tub from house to house for 25 years, not quite having the heart to throw them away or sell them for lunch money, which is probably all they'd bring.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Same. One Sunday, I swear I'm going to go through them. Mostly from the late 80s/early 90s.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I hope the value of cards from the late 70s to the early 90s goes down considerably, that way I won't feel as angry that my ex-wife stole my collection of rookie cards during our divorce and yet still pleads ignorance on their whereabouts.

Liut likes this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This was spawned from the post with the current Warriors in 70s hair on 70s cards.

It just reminded me of when I was trying to get Dr. J cards when I was young.

You could get a comic and two packs for under a buck when your parents went to the store.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My fondest memory, plowing through another box of Frosted Flakes to get another 3D baseball Card. Still got em.

clintrichardson, garrow and CD Boogie like this.
  7. CD Boogie

Drakes used to have one baseball card per box of Yodels, Ring Dings, etc. Loved those cards.

I used to buy the Beckett Guide and whatever that cheaper-looking one was called, the one that was printed on paper, mainly just to see what my older cards were worth, not because I was looking to make a million. Then Upper Deck came along and fucking ruined everything.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Hostess did that as well.

I still have a poorly cut Tom Terrific in my house.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My best friend and I still reminisce about being 14 and riding our bikes to a Hostess store 10 miles away looking for Hank Aaron cards on boxes of Twinkies and Ho Hos. That was 45 years ago and his mom never figured out why no matter how many Twinkies we ate, the number of golden cakes in her pantry never went down.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And to address the OP, I was used to like to pick up a pack or two of cards each year just for fun and nostalgia, but I'm not dropping $2.95 for 20 cards, like I saw in a store the other day.

11. CD Boogie

12. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I have one shoebox full of my old baseball cards. I use them as bookmarks. Every time I start a new book, I reach blindly into the box and pull out a card. It's fun. Current bookmark is a 1975 Ron Cey.

garrow and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted