1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My publisher got fired on Monday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Jun 5, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Things suck big time right now.

2. boots

boots New Member

Aside from heads rolling at the top of the food chain, what about other positions?

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Chazp: Sounds like we're in the same (sinking) CNHI boat -- akin to The Titanic looking for an iceberg to run into.

Boots: No replacements allowed, without exception; POS, out-of-date equipment across the shop, paying us here 20 cents a mile - then bitching we are submitting too much; and shit-canning our publisher for the exact reason Chazp pointed out: We ARE turning a profit (in a terribly depressed market, I might add), just not enough to match the corporate "plan"

4. boots

boots New Member

If CNHI is taking steps like this, others are soon to follow. Bet on it.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Well, D-day didn't happen today. Now we've heard it's going to be friday when the "visitors" come ... This post above, of course, certainly doesn't help matters from a knot-in-the-stomach standpoint. We've been hearing these types of things, and I think my wonderful little newspaper, which puts out a great product and has a great time doing it, will be only a shell of itself when all is said and done ... We're already a shell as it is ... sigh...

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Futura: I will be hoping for the best for you. Hang in there, buddy.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Seriously, Futura, I'm hoping the best for ya. Even if you do survive the cuts, I'd start hunting work soon. PM me. Maybe I can help.

8. That seriously sucks, dude. How long have you been at your current shop, Futura? Hopefully it's long enough to put together some clips and get the hell out of dodge. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you survive the cuts, though.

9. I think CNHI is going to kill itself as a chain. Even the papers that are making money are suffering under these new policies, and those profit margins are going to shrink more and more and more if this continues.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the fucking regional office called a 20-hour employee? no shit?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody know of any industry that grew by putting out a worse product?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wal-Mart? Not an industry, per se, but ...

Draft saved Draft deleted