1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My publisher got fired--Follow up (another head rolls)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

You may recall my post of a few weeks ago regarding my publisher getting lopped because of declining profit margins.

Turns out, there appears to be a good reason why the numbers weren't so hot -- our advertising manager got the ax late last week. Not 100 percent sure of the specifics yet, but word is there is a great deal of money that can't be located. In other words, no wonder our numbers were so crappy, at least by CNHI's standards.

Of course, this means the two highest-paid employees at my shop no longer have their salaries on the ledger, something that you can bet makes the CNHI beancounters absolutely giddy.

Wonder if CNHI's lovely "no-replacement" policy will hold true for these two positions, too?

Wally-World is looking better and better every day...

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

They'll have to hire an ad manager or promote within. If they don't sell ads, your paper will die! From what I hear (I'm at a CNHI paper in the south) things will return to what some would refer to as normal for CNHI around the beginning of football season.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

chazp: You're probably right, but come fall, when the beancounters WANT things to return to normal, they might want to find a new SE.

At this point, I wasn't allowed to fill an opening on our 5-person staff (4 fulltimers, 1 30-hour spot) -- meaning my staff has been reduced by more than 20 percent, and all my fine stringers were forced to go elsewhere because I wasn't permitted to use them.

The world needs ditch diggers, too, right? Ugh...

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Our paper has lost two correspondents. The lady that handled the senior news and a photo stringer. A rumor has been floating around that we may get our part timer, who was recently let go, back after the start of football season. I'm hoping things do loosen up. We have a overtime rule right now and I'll have to break that when it's time to put out the football tab. If things don't change some, it could start effecting the quality of the product.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

chaz: That's just it on this end, it already has effected the quality of the product, and, at this point, there's no turning back. Sort of a once-you-choose-to-go-down-that-path-it's-over kinda thing.

I almost killed myself getting us through the spring scholastics season because I wasn't willing to compromise the product. Come fall, though, I flat out will not be willing to do that to myself again. Overtime? Have NEVER had it available since I took over in 1998.

I'm to the point where the powers that be have chosen to make this bed... now they, and our readers, will have to sleep in it.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I think I know what you mean. I've worked OT that I didn't turn in because they don't want it, but if I don't work it, then I'm cheating my readers. I see the Catch 22 you're in. I hope the rumors I heard about our division are true, because if not, then our product could suffer during football season (not having a budget for correspondents). I hate to ask, but it sounds like you're looking for another gig by fall. Are you?

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Where is the fine line between killing yourself to put out a quality product because of your standards, and finally deciding since management won't (or can't) help that you won't keep doing it?

We didn't get in this business to make a ton of money. But neither did we sign up to be pounded by declining staffs, unfilled positions, editors who shrug and say "tough," and upper management who continues to receive bonuses while sucking out the marrow of the staff.

Go the extra mile and someone may say thank you (maybe). But it the way things are trending now it seems nothing ever, or rarely, comes back from above to help you down the road.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

chaz: I'm already open to a new gig... and if it's not in this biz, so be it.

Last week, I filled out a CNHI form requesting to fill the vacancy I've had since February. I received the form back from my ME, attached to a note that said, "Colton, I need a memo explaining why filling this opening is necessary."

Makes me want to put someone's head in a paint shaker.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

SixToe: You nailed it, except there is definitely no thank you.

Have I mentioned in the last 5 minutes we are being reimbursed at 20 cents a mile for mileage? LOL

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

Make sure you memo mentions we might want to put out the kind of product our readers deserve. That might be one reason to fill the position. Hope thing improve for you. I think I understand your frustration. You just have to do the best you can despite CNHI tying your hands with a lack of people/resources.

11. Taylee

Taylee Member

We had to start filling out requistition forms, and that's the line I use for the "Justification for filling the opening"
    To ensure we have the necessary staffing to effectively produce a newspaper our readers deserve.

I've not had one denied.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

chaz, taylee: Thanks a ton. I will use those exact statements when I refile the paper work.

Draft saved Draft deleted