1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My phone went swimming less than 45 minutes after eating ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jun 14, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

... and it died. Yup, I'm an idiot and went swimming with my cell phone in my pocket. Stupid baggy shorts. I may start dressing like John Stockton circa 1991 to keep that from happening again.

Now I'm looking for a new phone and I'm pretty well up shit's creek. I have a wedding to fly to next month that's going to cost me about $1,000 and I don't have $150 lying around to buy the "pretty standard cell phone" the guy at the AT&T store was telling me is the cheapest they offer.

I asked if I'm eligible for an upgrade because online it said that after 10 months (I've had my contract for 11 months), if your bill is up to date (it is), you are eligible. He said no, not till November. He said you "COULD" be eligible after 10 months, but not necessarily. I don't know what I had to do to be eligible for that, but there was no manager around to talk to who could explain it.

I'm not dropping $150 on a "basic" phone (hell, I wouldn't spend that on an iPhone).

Considering I haven't had a land line in about 10 years, this is becoming quite an inconvenience.

Anyone know of any deals out there?
  2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

You'd have to spend $150 on a phone? Damn. I'd drop AT&T in a second. I did the same exact thing you did, too, but I only had to pay $99 with Verizon to get a new phone.

I was visiting a friend's house and he was having a BBQ, other friends over and all of that. I wasn't expecting to be there until much later, but I got out of work early. I ran up out of nowhere and jumped in the pool as they were all in it, but I had forgotten that I had my cell phone and car keys in my pocket. I only mention my car keys because I had an electric lock/starter on my keychain and I was worried that I damaged it too. Luckily, it survived.

One thing you could do is, find one of your old phones and have it reactivated.
  3. bigpern23

I switched service when my last phone died (it was four or five years old, the antenna was broken and the battery didn't hold a charge), so I don't think it have worked even if I hadn't gotten rid of it when I moved recently. I've only had one other one before that and it's long gone.

The worst part is that I found a deal online for a free Blackberry with a new two-year contract, but you had to be eligible for upgrade (I'm glad I went into the store to check to see if I was eligible before going for that deal. I was actually pretty sure I would be eligible, but decided better safe than sorry). Going from that to maybe having to pay $150 for a basic phone is a real kick in the nuts.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

$150 seems a little steep for a "basic" phone. My AT&T store has some basic Samsungs in the $60-$70 range. You might have to sign a new contract to get the lower rate, but I'd see if there's another store near you and try them.
  5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Could you find a pay-as-you-go phone for two or three months until you have the means of getting a new one? Those probably cost what, $30 anymore?
  6. bigpern23

There's only one AT&T store within a 2-hour drive of here. I don't mind signing a new contract, but it didn't sound like that was an option when I talked the nerdy teenager at the store (who, BTW, had "Han S." on his nameplate. When I asked to see the manager, I refrained from asking if Chewbacca was available to speak to). If you sign a new contract, do you get the discounted price even if you're not eligible for the upgrade? This kid didn't seem to know his ass from his elbow and there wasn't a manager there, so I don't know if that's an option. If I can do that, then there's no problem, but their customer service number closes early here on the weekends and I couldn't find out at the store.

It makes little to no sense for them to have $150 phones as their baseline, considering the buyout is $175. Rather than paying $150 for a basic phone, I'd be better off paying the $175 buyout, switching service and getting a good phone for free or at least cheap.

As for a pay-as-you-go phone, that's not really an option since I'd be paying the cost of that, plus my AT&T service (which I would actually be using) for 4 1/2 months. Again, better off just paying the buyout (which, of course, I'm trying to avoid because I'm broke as hell thanks to this wedding).
  7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Bury it in uncooked white rice for a few days.

Seriously. Absorbs the water and revives the phone.

8. bigpern23

It's not so much the water as the salt. It dried out fine, but the salt pretty well destroyed it. I took it apart even and tried to clean it, but it is dunzo.
  9. If you have AT&T, there's a good chance that you have a SIM card in your phone, which may still work. If you have an older phone lying around, put your SIM card into that and see if it works. If it does, you can use that. Or maybe a friend has one you can borrow. Because all the info for your phone in on the SIM card. As long as that works, whatever phone your card is in will ring when your number is called.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

$150 for a basic phone is ridiculous when iPhones are now $99.
  11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Did you have insurance? I'm not sure about AT&T, but Verizon's deal is basically you can pay $50 and get a new phone if you have insurance. But I'll ask the wife to see if that's really the case, so I'm not giving you wrong information.

EDIT: It's right, at least for VZW. You pay $50 under insurance and they'll give you a refurbished phone comparable to the old one.
  12. borrowing a phone from a friend (who would also have to have an AT&T phone sitting around) is the way to go in the short-term. The SIM card may be fried though because of the salt and then it's a moot point. Long-term, go to Ebay and buy a used AT&T phone. If the SIM card works, just about any new generation AT&T/Cingular phone will work for you.
Draft saved Draft deleted