1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My personal crusade, under par

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 11, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

For some reason in the past few years, golf writers and editors got it into their heads (well, some of them did) that "Jones finished 2 under par" required a hyphen anywhere.

"a 2-under-par 70"? Sure.

"a 6-under 66"? Sure.

"Jones shot 32 on the back nine to finish 5-under par"? NO!

This is a regular occurrence with AP writers, among others, although I don't know that Ferguson does it.

Please, stop.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shit. I saw the thread title and thought you were going to tell us you finished a round under par.
    But not under-par.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Nope, 75 still the best, and that was like three years ago. My currently rate of play, I won't be back there anytime soon.

(Aside: I once played with a guy at my local course. He played well, but every putt he looked at, he made. Chipped in a couple of times. Otherworldly stuff. Shot 69. I said, "How many times have you broken 70?" And he said, "You won't believe this, but that's the first time I've broken 80!" I believed him. Just one of those amazing days.)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought 2underpar did something notorious -- like actually shot under par.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I did that once. Was so pleased with the way the day went I decided not to play the other nine.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. Falls into the category of the overuse and misuse of irony. And it's not that difficult to understand and use properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted