1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My perception of Barry Bonds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Aug 8, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But is he older than ME?

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Say, boots: the board is rife with Bonds threads today, it's a Bonds-fest. I even started one myself, which I'm sure I'll regret. But if you take this stuff seriously, that's fine. Just don't expect me to take it seriously. I didn't set out to pollute your thread, truly I didn't. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with finding the whole thing mildly ridiculous.

Peace.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A tremendous blend of natural talent, discipline and an overwhelming drive to be the best player in the game. An arrogant, self-centered prick with a history of mistreating people just because he can. Something of a sad story because it really is a shame that he turned to illegal performance enhancers when he was already a Hall of Fame player without any chemical help. And more importantly, he could have been a great influence on the game. There is a tremendous amount of baseball knowledge there, but he has been unwilling to share it and most likely will continue that way.

My perceptions of Bonds always go back to 1992, his final season with the Pirates. We all knew he was going to be gone. I decided to stop worrying about it and enjoy having the best player in baseball on my favorite team. That was a special time to me as a fan because Pittsburgh was lucky enough to have the best player in baseball and hockey (yes, for a short stretch in the early '90s Mario Lemieux was better than Gretzky).

The loss in the 1992 NLCS haunts all Pirates fans, but the way Bonds carried a very mediocre team into the playoffs still sticks with me.

Rip him for his flaws. He deserves it. But I will continue to give the man his due as well.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Barry Bonds was OK at first, but he went too far.

5. outofplace

Booooo :)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I liked him better when his hat size was the same as mine....not mine and yours and his and him too....together

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

I liked him better when he was a skinny little runt, and Bobby Bonilla was the far-superior baseball player.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Most everyone who broke into the bigs was a skinny little runt compared to how they look in their 40s.

9. outofplace

Bobby Bonilla was NEVER a superior player. Not even close, even with Bonds batting behind him and making him look better than he really was.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but every other players' feet didn't grow two sizes.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

To be older than me and younger than you is a pretty small window.
    I'm betting the over on that one, too

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that. We ought to check on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted