1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Own Worst Enemy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Very solid debut show. Not only does it star Happy Harry Hard-On, but it also includes Frau Farbissina and The Rick.

Loved the line "There's a difference between driving someone's car and driving someone's wife..."

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Happy Harry Hard-On. Awesome.

My favorite part was how much Slater sounded like J.D. when he said "I don't like to sleep when I'm awake."

It was a bit confusing, but I liked it. I'll watch it again.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Damn. I thought this thread was about that awesome line from the Linkin Park song Given Up.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Thank goodness. I was worried Lit was making a comeback.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Turned it off 30 minutes in.

I like Christian Slater. I don't like Christian Slater that much.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the show, but I don't know how long I'll last with it. I had trouble accepting The Rick as a multiple-personality wet boy. I also thought it bore some striking similarities to the Sopranos. Saffron Burrows or Lorraine Bracco? Hmmm...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Mike O'Malley, but I don't know if this is the right part for him.

I didn't finish the show, but what I saw I really liked.

I've always been a huge Christian Slater fan and it was really sad when his partying/drug use/etc prevented him from becoming the superstar that he was destined to be.

Heathers, Pump Up the Volume and True Romance are three of my favorite movies ever.

I'm rooting for this show.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

O'Malley is far from the first guy I'd think of for a tough-guy role, but I didn't think he was horrible in the premiere and he does fill the "cover" role well.

I enjoyed the first episode. I was only planning to check out the first few minutes, but I ended up watching it all the way through. Madchen Amick is always nice to look at. I am curious to see why they don't just eliminate the cover personality altogether or kill Edward when things started going badly. I'm thinking there is more of an explanation coming.

I'll be giving it another shot.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit. THAT was Mike O'Malley? I saw him in the credits and figured it had to be a different Mike O'Malley when I didn't see some dork in a Sox hat. Damn.

And yeah..."Heathers," "Pump Up The Volume" and "True Romance" is as good a 1-2-3 punch as anyone's put together in the last 20 years. And he did it all before he turned 24, which makes his descent into straight-to-DVD dreck all the more depressing. But between this and "Dolan's Cadillac," maybe he'll re-emerge over the next 12 months.

I liked him so much after "Heathers" that I saw dreck like "Kuffs" and "Mobsters" in the theatre. On opening night.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

One of the laddy mags (Maxim?) had a great 15th anniversary piece on True Romance in which it talked to EVERYONE...Slater, Tarantino, Hopper, Arquette, etc. Apparently Slater was supposed to bite it, but even Tarantino couldn't convince the studio to kill him off.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, in the original script he dies and then at the end Alabama is driving off with the money and she finds a note he wrote her that says "You're so cool..." or something like that. It's been a few years since I looked at it.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You didn't realize Mike O'Malley was "The Rick" from the ESPN commercials?

Draft saved Draft deleted