1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My offer on my first house just got accepted...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ha. I bought that book when I got my first house back in '87 and I still refer to it often.

And congrats, IJAG. Great market to buy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Best thing I did in my current place...

Your garage is for your car. Not stuff that you will not use. Be sure you can park your car in your garage.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's a cartoon version of a twerp I know... the one we discussed on the phone...

4. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Congrats, IJAG!

Nothing like the crazy emotions of home-buying.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They stick ours in the monthly water bill . . . along with the "mandatory" cable payment (whether you want cable or not). We will be able to opt out of paying cable in 2013 (15 years and more than $7,000 after I switched to DirecTV and never used their cable service).

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mandatory cable payment? How do they get away with that?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Garage? On a Craftsman?

Surely you jest.

I have a "parking pad" that's MAYBE an inch wider than my car. :)

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The water bill was what surprised me when I moved here--80 - 90 bucks a month about 4X what I paid previously.

And do you own a lawnmower? Or are you just going to pay some young buck to cut your lawn?

9. BTExpress

Planned community built in 1987, incorporated in 1996 and built out soon after that. In the initial deal --- successive 10-year terms in perpetuity --- developer promised a "bulk" of subscribers (14,000 or so) to the cable provider and was given a lower (bulk) rate. You buy a house in the community, you sign papers saying you'll pay for cable service.

Not really a big deal at the time. Upscale community pays $40 or so a month for cable. But that was before satellite and internet came along.

Fast forward to 2004. Lawsuit was filed to terminate the service agreement. Cable company countersued. Settlement reached gives homeowners the option of picking another cable company (or not paying for cable at all) after Dec. 31, 2013.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I ever end up in Atlanta, that's the first place I'm going to visit. It'll also be the first restaurant where I'll be bowing down to the propietor.

11. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Congrats on your acquisition. You bought at a very good time and I am very happy for you.

I am at the other end of the spectrum. I bought a modest condo five years ago just as the bubble was getting ready to burst and it is now worth 60% of what I paid for it. I get uneasy every time I think about it.

12. BTExpress

Since we're on the subject of homes . . . .

how the hell do you do any planting in a yard with very little topsoil? Wife wants a hole dug about 18 inches and filled with garden soil for some plants.

I dig about 5-6 inches and . . . clang. Rocks. And more rocks. 30 minutes and two blistered hands later, we get one honeysuckle shrub planted. Attempt at planting second shrub is met with even more unforgiving rocks. "No mas," I say. Actually, I said, "больше нет.'' But the meaning was clear. I can't plant this thing with a simple shovel. So how do you do it? Should I start pricing jackhammers?

Draft saved Draft deleted