1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My offer on my first house just got accepted...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jun 6, 2011.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Rude! And it's spelled douche. :D

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Congrats, IJAG.

A friend posted this a couple days ago and will close (if not already) on a condo soon.

http://xkcd.com/905/

P.S. Thought SJ style was douchebox?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SJ Toronto style is douchebox. Or somewhere on the road to Toronto. Don't remember exactly where you coined that. :D

doosh is IJAG/Norm Stanfield spelling. Sorry. Also, less offensive. Or something.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAH I just clicked on that. Awesome. Also, pretty much me.

5. maberger

maberger Member

Congrats -- that's great. I think the tension is normal, considering the size of the commitment you're making.

be sure to be active in the rest of the steps; perhaps that will help as you won't be just floating around while things happen.

*Have comps lined up for the bank assessment (don't assume they know as much about the property and its value as you do).
    *Absolutely be there for the home inspection, and make sure the inspector is certified for the field and NOT related/a friend/a business partner/a recommendation of the seller.
    *Have copies of your financial paperwork already copied for the bank.
    *Don't sell any investments and/or add or subtract from the accounts you're showing the bank, and if you do have copies of statements and receipts ready for them.
    *Don't worry but do be active.

you'll be fine.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Congratulations IJAG, I'm quite jealous. That kind of coin would get me a nice double wide around here, sounds like you got an awesome deal.

I have a feeling you'll enjoy not lighting a match to your money every month and actually getting something out of it. That's great to hear.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Congrats, IJAG!

Just a couple more months before you'll be a proud homeowner ... and complaining about the city tax bill. :)

One word of advice: when Mrs. Coco and I bought our first home, we made an investment of $4 at the local used bookstore that proved priceless. It looked like this:

[​IMG]

Not sure how old your house is, but if it was built in the 1970s or earlier, this book will come in very handy. We've referred to it countless times, and while I'm no handyman, I'm proud to say that Readers Digest homeowners manual guided me through replacing some clapboard wooden siding (among countless plumbing repairs).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

The anxiety is normal. It goes away after making several months of payments.

As for House Hunters, the way they do it is, they find people who've bought or are in escrow on cool, filmable houses. If they agree, then they shoot the buyers looking at two other houses, saying good and bad, and then voila-you've bought the house you wanted.

I passed on being on the show...I like it, but ugh...

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

When I sold my house, I accepted the the offer I got. No negotiations at all. I knew what I wanted, and the offer came to it, so I didn't feel the need to counter.

As an aside, I lost a ton of money on my Detroit-area home when I sold it in 2007.

Yesterday, however, I learned that my previous next-door neighbor's house sold for just $18k. That is $100k less than I paid for my house. My own home is valued ar $38k right now.

I am so glad I got out of it. I sank more than that into it in improvements in the time I had it.

Definitely a buyer's market.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Congrats, IJAG. Deep breaths. You can do this.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I didn't finish reading everything on here, but I'm SO EXCITED for you!

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Would appear to be August 18th based on closing.

Congrats--a great time to be a first time buyer.

Draft saved Draft deleted