1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My offer on my first house just got accepted...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Get Holmes on Homes (or whatever that show is called) to inspect it. :D

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holmes Inspection!

I wanted to write House Hunters and get on there. :D

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

IJAG - Congrats!
    It sounds like you made a good offer and in this market the sellers were willing to take what they could get.
    Now let's hope it's smooth sailing to closing - which it rarely is.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I felt physically sick the day of my closing for my house.

Especially when I was signing all the papers. You truly feel like you're signing your life away. I was trying to read every single word, and even my lawyer was like, "If you read it all, the mortgage will be paid off by the time you sign everything."

But when the past owner handed me and my wife the keys, it was a pretty cool feeling.

Oh, and congrats and good luck.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I saw a house today and didn't put in an offer, but I've been stressed all day about it. I think your situation is normal.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It is nerve-wracking by it's very nature, especially when closing comes around and if unexpected things pop up. But sit back have a beer and try to relax, cause you're going to be a home owner. Congrats, IJAG. I am really happy for you.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did you get a home inspection? Is it a short sale? Hopefully it's just a straight sale without the seller needing approval from their bank.

8. imjustagirl

Straight sale. No short sale, no foreclosure. The guy bought it last year for like $15K and flipped it. Put it on the market for $145K, didn't sell. Dropped to the $129K last month. The inspection is scheduled for next Wednesday. I have a 15-day due diligence period to back out for any reason.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One bit of advice: give yourself as much overlap as you can between the closing of your house and the end of the lease on your rental. The temptation is to save money by putting them close together, which makes sense... until the closing gets delayed a month.

On our last house the closing was delayed and our landlord had already lined up a new tenant. We managed to beg for extra time... and ended up closing on our absolute drop-dead date to get out of our rental. We got a U-Haul and moved all our stuff from one two-story house to another in about 12 hours. Thankfully they were only a few blocks apart. (We had lined up a storage facility and one-month rental just in case the closing was pushed back another day.)

Yeah... I suppose that probably doesn't make you feel any better. But I can tell you that owning a home, to me, is infinitely better than renting. This process is all worth it, even if you feel miserable going through it.

10. imjustagirl

It's not the process. I don't really know what it is. Maybe it's the responsibility. Maybe it's the added cost. Maybe it's the responsibility. Maybe it's the responsibility. I don't know. Maybe it's wondering if it's the right house, because it's not something you can just go back on.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Also, look at it this way. Now you know where you're money is going.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11 years after buying my first and only house...I wish to God I hadn't.

[/equityallgonethankstobubbleburst]

Draft saved Draft deleted