1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My offer on my first house just got accepted...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jun 6, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And I'm freaking out. Many of you have commented on FB, but am hoping others will weigh in here.

Is that really normal? Like I'm still a little tight in the chest. Really, really freaking. Many friends said they still freak out over every house purchase or sale, but I don't know how anyone could do this more than once without taking five years off his/her life.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Honey, I've never owned anything in my life but your reaction seems perfectly normal to me. I think I would react exactly the same way.

3. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Congratulations.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Congrats IJAG.... i'm two years in this week... scary still.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Congrats, IJAG. And yeah, I'm in the 3rd house I've bought and each one has been nerve-wracking. (And it pretty much stays that way through closing.)

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If they took your first offer, it must've been for what the home is worth. Now, the torture really begins. Here's to getting it to closing.

Congratulations.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Good for you. I understand the nervous/anxious feeling. Hopefully the excited feeling trumps it.

8. imjustagirl

PCLL: Not helping. :D

I mean, I know I can afford it. And it's a good time to buy, especially here. 3 BR, 2 BA 1,400 sf Craftsman which was essentially gutted and rebuilt. New insulation, new flooring, new layout, new roof, new plumbing, new electrical, new HVAC, etc. Granite countertops, stainless steel appliances. Really nice, for under $130K.

Why is it so freaking scary?

@t_b_f: We did offer list price. But we also included nearly $8K from the seller for closing costs, which was the maximum FHA allows you to receive. Basically, the appraisal plus their closing costs gets to the list price.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The combination of so many people congratulating me, plus the length of the process itself, made me numb to the whole thing when I bought my first place. My father kept waiting for me to walk in the front door and smile or do something and questioned why I didn't, and I told him, I'm just relieved it's over with.

It's normal to be a little thrilled now, but trust me, in six weeks/months, whichever it comes, you're just going to kill for it to all be over with.

And then the first mortgage payment arrives. And the first tax bill. And then the shower leaks, etc.

10. imjustagirl

Expected closing date is August 17.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Nice, congrats!

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hey, at least I said it would end at some point!

Seriously, sounds like a terrific situation and this is a great time to be a first-time buyer.

Just roll with the punches for the next few weeks and enjoy the feeling when the process is over.

Draft saved Draft deleted