1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Nice, New Layoff Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear more people admit to it happening. They are out there. They know it's going on. There is no way a kid is ever going to make money in this business anymore because of 1-2 percent raises or no raises and bogus performance evaluations designed to keep salaries down. It would be irresponsible to encourage anybody to enter this profession simply because there are very few jobs (it's obvious papers want to go with freelancers and citizen journalists as mentioned by the another poster) and once a kid gets a job he/she is stuck at fastfood restaurant type salaries the rest of their lives because of this conspiracy regarding raises/performance evaluations at that evil chain.
    EE I never meant to imply you were a bum.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Even when the industry was relatively prosperous, real raises were best achieved by changing jobs. Carping about minimal year-over-year raises (or none) has been as much a part of the newspaper business as sports taking circulation calls on the weekends.

Draft saved Draft deleted