1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Nice, New Layoff Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You seem cool angola.
    My main problem with management is I sense a trend where newspapers are laying off reporters left and right but anybody who is some sort of editor is staying on. I've heard of papers with more high school editors than reporters.
    Why don't they tell these editors to get out and write some stories? They amount of reporters has decreased yet there are still all these 10 a.m. meeting editors around.
    I think my experience with Gannett has soured me on management fucks.
    I think Gannett created a lot of crap that other newspapers picked up on, like those insulting evaluation forms in which editors are told to not give positive grades because they'll have to give higher raises.
    That is repulsive and any performance evaluator that agrees to that is a wimp.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fred - let's say you're being evaluated from 1 to 5 with 5 being the best. you could receive all 5s and the company has no obligation to give you a dime more.

you might want to rethink what you've been told and what you know.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fredrick,

You seem to be both outlandishly certain and woefully misinformed. That's a bad combination, but what do I know? I'm a repulsive wimp.

4. Fredrick

I didn't say all management types were assholes. I did say a repulisive wimp is somebody who is in charge of evaluating employees and purposely agrees to give lower grades than the employees deserve upon orders from Gannett management. You do that? And you can live with yourself?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ace isn't going to get to the plain-dealer being mr. nice-guy ... not in this shitty economic climate.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

According to your posts, managers are ordered to lie to employees and rank them lower than they are worth.

Neither if which is true.

I've only been told that that my ass is toast if unions are allowed to organize and the publisher's car isn't washed twice a week.

7. Fredrick

Managers are told to rank employees lower than they are worth on evaluation sheets. That is a flat out fact and you managers know it. Just admit it for once. And those of you who take part should be ashamed of yourselves.

8. Fredrick

My apology to you and your shop, buck. I certainly believe you. You obviously don't work for the WORST newspaper company in the world. I refuse to dignify it by name.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

damn, you got me. Okay, I admit it. I regularly block any advancement of my staff - be it financial or professional - because I am a prick. I also prefer to lie to them whenever I can because, well, it's just more fun.
    You see, as a manager, i really have no value to the company. I produce nothing, preferring to spend my days in meetings which are, let's face it, useless and accomplish nothing.
    I really haven't contributed to my workplace since the last time I wrote a story or laid out a page.
    It was fun while it lasted, but you've outed me.
    I am shamed.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

don't you feel better now having told the truth about what a low-life you really are?

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

I would have responded sooner, but after posting that, me and a few other "suits" went out for lunch and a "massage"

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Businessman's lunch at the Brass Rail? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted