1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Nice, New Layoff Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I would have no problem with the way you presented how you handle things, EE. You've never been asked to lie and you handle the questions well without issuing a lie. Petty I realize it's not unique to newspapers. I'm just saying if somebody takes orders to lie and does so, that person is a coward and to me if a piece of human dung. If you two do not lie, then again you have my respect.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nobody takes orders to lie. but you do take orders not to talk about certain matters. it's how you handle the questions is what's being debated here.

and if you believe managers should discuss closed-door meetings with non management, you're a fucking child.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

saying you can't talk about it is talking about it, is a joke, slappy. the guy approached the manager. should the manager lose his job to be "honest" with an employee who upper management hadn't made up their mind about?

if someone thinks my kids are going to go hungry because they ask me something i've been told to not talk about by my bosses, well, they are high.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have a good night's sleep.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

WTF? lose a job for a guy who doesn't even make his 90-day review? yeah, would you?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on why he didn't make it: his work (which a manager would explain he needed work on things) or management deciding to cut him for no fault of his own.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what everybody here fails to mention is the guy didn't even make it to his review ... yet everybody wants to kill his manager, which i think is bullshit.

ever think the guy just sucked? there, i said it.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No one said he didn't (of course, that was infered in the post you quoted bout "depending on why he didn't make it: His Work")
    Reading is FUNdamental
    But he asked and the boss lied.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

because, obviously, his fate hadn't been decided by his superiors. what the fuck would you want from his boss?: "you may or may not be employed here next week."

shit doesn't work that way because it's not fair to the employee.

and FUNdamental? yeah, no shit. figure it out.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

not really. the boss had told him repeatedly that "you never know when you might be out of a job", and hadn't put him on the schedule.
    The guy sounds pretty clueless, to the point where if I was his boss and the guy was unable to read the obvious signs, I might have also said "don't worry about it" until he next showed up for work

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sounds like he read signs to me...

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think the key word there is "second."

Draft saved Draft deleted