1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Nice, New Layoff Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It may not be quite that simple. It's possible the SE didn't know that his bosses would make this move.

Or he may have turned in a 90-day review and the muckety mucks got the bright idea that the could terminate this person for no reason at all before the 90 days was up. Maybe he fought to keep him and lost.

What's the SE supposed to say? Hey, start worrying about your job, but there's nothing you can do about it.

If anyone in this business isn't trying to line something else up, I don't know what more you can do for them.

If I see a suitable PR/communications type opening in the area, I just assume the main competition will be from other people at the paper.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Good luck JD, that's a terrible thing to have happen again.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

Please tell me this is sarcasm from an inside joke I don't know about.
    If not, when the ax falls on me, I cant wait to tell my family "Don't worry if we have to sell the house for half of what we bought it for. I'll find another job that I won't like. It probably won't offer the pay or flexibility we've enjoyed in the past, but Tom Petty says we need to let this go and move on, and he's absolutely right. In fact, I'm gonna tell the mortgage company those very same words when they call and ask why we're two months late."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, it sucks and all, but what are JD's other options? If he wasn't there 90 days, I can't imagine he has any leg to sue to get his job back.

I don't think Tomas meant that it wasn't a big deal, but that JD needs to look ahead and not stew about what happened.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I hope you didn't have to relocate far for the 2 months on the job. This was a ridiculous layoff. The newspaper really looks bad here bringing somebody in. How much you want to bet they hire somebody else for 2 months now.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

not to make excuses, but the SE can lose his job if he leaks confidential HR information before its supposed to be released

It sounds like the SE was dropping hints as big as cowpies, including not putting the guy no the sked

JD was seeing the world through rose-colored glasses if he really thought the SE "wasn't finished" the schedule

I'm sympathetic to JD for losing his job, but I don't think the SE was as big a scumbag as is being implied

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And not work for another MNG rag, as he puts it. Then again, I think he makes perfectly clear he's never doing that again.

Best of luck, JD.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ, overreact much?

jd, now more than ever, has to suck it up and get back on his feet. yeah it sucks, but i've also known guys who've spent the better part of a year wallowing in their own pity and barely got back on track.

basic psychology, chief, you have to let something go before you can move on, and that's what jd has to do now and not later.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am willing to bet the powers that be don't care how they look. It's just another body for the bean counters (sorry, dude... but I;'ve also been fucked by MNG -- a l-o-n-g time ago).

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Makes sense, EE. I never thought of that. But there's not much the kid (I assume he's a young hire) could do at that point but show up for work. How's he going to get a job in this environment? Hints or no hints, he got treatily so shabbily.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Perhaps not as far as the SE's supervisors are concerned.

But there's neither dignity nor integrity with the way this was handled. And no company can take that away from you unless you let them.

Draft saved Draft deleted