1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Nice, New Layoff Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Nov 19, 2008.

1. JD

JD Member

I probably could have posted this sooner, but I just haven't had the time......Job hunting will do that.

Anyhow, I was cut from a certain MNG paper in Vacaville, CA that will go unnamed. (Haha)
    Two weeks ago, My SE told me about cutbacks at the Contra Costa Times (MNG rag), and he told me to "Get ready. We could all walk in here tomorrow and be out of a job."

He would reiterate that again the next day. I started to take the hint, and looked at the upcoming sports dept. schedule (We had a schedule that described who did what game, what page, etc, each day), My name was not on it. I thought, "Ok, maybe he didn't finish it."

But I did some more deep thinking, and I hadn't received my medical healthcare packet (I was hired in August), and my 90-day probationary period was about two weeks from passing. I thought that was funny, because I should have had that information already filed so my benefits would be effective December 1. So, I called my SE the next day (I was off, he was at the shop), and asked him if I was working that week, and what the deal was. He told me not to worry, just come in Tuesday at 3 o'clock like always (Off Sunday/Monday).

I come in on Tuesday, and apparently word had gotten around about my suspicions. I was at my desk for about five minutes, until my SE said "Let's go into my office." I knew that was it. Awaiting us in the office was our HR rep and the ME. I was given the good 'ol speech and was told I could walk out that day, or finish out the week. I chose to finish out the week, which ended this past Friday, November 14. I needed the money, so I feel I did the right thing.

This is my second time being laid off by MNG. Never again. FUCK YOU LEAN DEAN!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry brother... and yeah, fuck Lean Dean

At least you had signs. When he closed my paper, they gave us 401k software for planning and life went on -- right up until that morning.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At least you worked out the week. If you left that day, would that have been considered a resignation? That way they wouldn't have to pay unemployment.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jd - i know this "sounds" like bullshit, but let it go and move on.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

And hopefully you upper-decked every toilet in the building before you left.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

that line about finishing out the week was very heads up. I know I would have been too pissed and have things get out of control in the heat of the moment.
    good luck to ya, jd

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wouldn't be as pissed that you got laid off as much as I would be the SE flat out lied to you when he said don't worry about it...
    lack of character from that one...

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Surely ain't the first one, guaranteed won't be the last one to lack the minimum-sized cajones to actually manage working professionals.

Some of the people running departments in many of our newsrooms have horrible communication skills. They are the opposite of stand-up guys or gals, which must mean they are sit-down guys or gals. They're often lacking in spines of any sort. (My apologies to the rare class-act bosses, but way too many of your peers in this business are bleepshit.)

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. Highly disturbing, yet not the least bit surprising.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Whenever I hear stories about these management type fxxxs with no guts to tell their employees what really is going on, I shake my head at their being such wimps.

Without character, one has nothing. I'm serious.

I don't care what happens to me in this suckass business. I will survive in another field or get by somehow. But I will never compromise my character.

Amazing what these management fxxxs will do to keep their jobs. These same wimpish management fxxxs who don't have the guts to tell you what is up also will be let go soon enough. Only you have your dignity; they don't have theirs. Amazing.

Good luck to you.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Best of luck, jd.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. It think what's particularly hard for journalists in this situation is that we're pretty good at detecting bullshit. Then you're told everything's fine, which goes against your instincts. I think journalists go through a pretty intense internal struggle with this layoff crap that those in other fields don't necessarily go through.

I hope you land on your feet very soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted