1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My next-door neighbors' son is full of fail

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jack_Kerouac, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well said Luggy. Fortunately there are many Wren Green stories and unfortanately their are also Seung-Hui Cho stories albiet not as severe.

The difference maker in many cases is that enough people cared in some way for Wren Green and took the time to understand his issues.

Progressive school systems are now taking a lot of measures to identify kids with issues at earlier ages and trying to provide greater support.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Ah shit, I was just joking. Forgot the blue font.

Maybe Jack's kid can take his cast and beat the wholly crap out of the bully. Is that better?

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wrong.

Let me explain something that happens when you become a parent. Yes, you become fiercely protective of your kid...

But you also find stories of child suffering 10,000 times more upsetting. You actually feel like you're going to throw up. A lot of people (especially the moms) cannot even bear to read a news story that involves a suffering child. That's why a lot of moms quit watching or reading the news. Why does this trigger happen? Why are we so much more affected? I'm not sure. It's a human nature thing. Perhaps because you've now witnessed true innocence firsthand? It's even deeper than that, though.

But thinking of this poor little boy and his situation...

Being a parent is precisely WHY I was up at 3 am bawling my eyes out.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Couple thoughts:

Both boys had been jumping off the fence on their own several times, apparently, so the other boy pushing Jack's kid wasn't necessarily evil or bullying -- maybe just a stupid thing kids do all the time.

At the age these kids are, I didn't discourage my kids from playing with anyone or anyone playing with them because an adult was always around -- especially outside.

After the kids are a bit older things will sort themselves out. They will either be friends, acquaintances or just avoid each other.

Happens all the time.

One of my sons best friends at 13 is a kid I didn't really like him hanging around with so much when he was 5-6-7 because the other kid was out all the time all hours and didn't seem to have any supervision. Frankly, he seemed a little slow and easily tempted.

But he's turned into a real sweet-natured kid who stopped hanging around a neighborhood kid who would try to berate him into doing what he wanted, make fun of him if older kids were around, etc.

Now he's a real good influence. He will even tell my son to stop arguing with his little brother. And will leave if kids won't stop arguing over basketball games or whatever rather than contribute to it.

5. Boom_70

Luggy with all due respect I think you are being awful sexist here. Men have feelings also and care about children suffering.

6. Lugnuts

You're right, Boom-- Mr. Lugs just got mad at me, too, when I told him what I posted. He told me now that he's a parent, it quote "tears him up when the world kicks a child in the teeth." And I don't mean Jack, but I'm talking about the developmental delays this kid has been handed-- something the little boy cannot help AT ALL.

But Mr. Lugs was thrilled to hear Jack's little guy is doing better and about the dinosaur coloring book.

Boom, it's inspiring to read about your coaching - it makes me want to be a youth coach, something I've never aspired to!

I also thought 21's post about marinading the adopted kids in love was especially spot on.

And I know for a fact Ace is a good dad-- I've been talking to him about parenting on this site for several years now.

This has turned out to be a very thought provoking thread.

7. Boom_70

Luggy it is a thought provoking thread indeed. You should consider coaching. It can be very rewarding. There is a great book on the topic called " A season of Life by Joe Ehrman and Greg Marx.

What really hooked me on this thread was the information that the boy was adopted. I have some very close friends that have adopted children and it just tears them up when their kids are labeled. When the kid misbehaves it can become a "eureka" moment for the uninformed. The idea that the kid is acting out because they are adopted not just because they are being a kid like any other.

Every child needs love and understanding but 21 is correct in saying that adopted children need to be marinated in love. If adopted at birth the child does not know any different until they are older but in effect they were rejected in some way.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid return.

9. Damn, dude. You go from a few of the most beautiful women ever in your sidesaddle to whatever the hell that is?
    I'm threatening to put you on blast (or just stop reading your posts) if you don't change it to JLH pronto.

10. Lugnuts

I will check out that book, Boom.

The info about the adoption hooked me as well.

Totally blowing my own horn here. I mean, this really is braggin'. But I am traveling to D.C. next week as part of a group lobbying Congress to make the adoption tax credit permanent. Adoption is such a wonderful choice -- and it should know no politics. Making the tax credit permanent is a no-brainer.

I'll be meeting with members of Congress and their staffers. I've never done anything like this (I'm getting some training next week and doing some conference calls this week), so wish me luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted