1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My newspaper owes me $733.80 in mileage.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lmcmillan33, Jul 31, 2009.

1. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

That number is correct, despite the fact we get paid only 20 cents per mile. The last mileage check I received was for February.

Typically, we receive them monthly, although on occasion before, they've been put off a few weeks later than normal. The The publisher/owner did not say a word about our not receiving them until asked a week ago. He said we are not likely to receive any reimbersument until around the beginning of September.

He has mentioned separately that three advertisers all owe the company in the realm of $10,000 each, and he has filed suit against two of them and will be doing so with the third soon if payment isn't received. He also said we barely brought in enough to cover payroll last week.

That sounds like a good excuse, but isn't he just doing the same thing to us that those companies are doing to him? It sure doesn't help in making ends meet, especially while my wife is unemployed.

I guess this is mostly just an expression of my frustration, but any suggesions also could be helpful. If you want to offer me a new job, that would be great. I'll go anywhere else.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Make sure you keep track of all your mileage and turn them in at tax time next year.

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I do keep track. This past year, I was unable to claim anything (for the amount I'm paid below the government rate) because I didn't have enough to exceed the standard deduction. That could change this year, I suppose.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm surprised they haven't said something along the lines of, we'll pay half of this month and pay the rest next month.

5. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

From the sounds of things, they don't even have enough money to pay half of one month's mileage check, considering they barely had enough for payroll last week.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think it may be time to send out the resumes.

7. bmm

bmm Member

^ I don't think I'd be going on many trips until I get paid. I'd be doing phoners. Sorry, but 20 cents a mile is crap and when you don't receive that; it's simply ridiculous. You also have to factor in wear and tear on your vehicle.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Just 20 cents per, in this day and age, is incredible. Of course, so too is not even paying that. Seems to me the former is a symptom of the latter.

Either way, I am with whomever said I'd only be in my car to go and from this joint until they come correct.

RB

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You need to stop traveling to events until you get your money. Request desk shifts or state that you won't be traveling outside of a certain local distance. More than $700 in $0.20 increments is an extreme situation.

Much like I'm sure your paper doesn't allow delinquent advertisers to continue placing ads, you should not continue to allow your paper to dig itself further in a hole with mileage.

If they don't have the resources to provide coverage, they don't have coverage. Period.

And if your first reaction is "Well, it's not that easy to stop traveling" then grow a backbone and give it a shot. What's the worst they can do, fire you? If so, they'll have to pay out what they owe you with your last check.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Put me in the "stop going places until you're paid" camp.

And also register me in the "start looking elsewhere for work" group. And yes, I know it's tough right now.

But first it's your mileage check bouncing. Then your paycheck.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

$733.80 in mileage, at the rate of 20 cents a mile, works out to 3,669 miles.

A cross-country driving trip from Miami to Seattle is 3,311 miles.

Now remember that city miles are much more damaging to most cars than highway miles.

Doesn't matter what your boss' excuse is. Being asked to foot the bill for essentially driving the cross length of the country for your job is flat out ridiculous.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to do the math remotely, MU, but yeah ... I knew it had to be an insane amount of miles.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted