1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My newspaper is a joke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Traveling, Jul 25, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They might not sell to management, but I'm guessing there are more than a few papers out there where employees might be willing to chip in for a nuke.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow, reluctantly shelling out $90 for one photo? Sounds like the ME may not be much of a sports person.

3. For future reference, if the event was in the U.S., you might check with the local paper in that area and see if they have someone who will shoot a photo for you or if they have a photo you can use. Some will do it as a favor, some might charge - probably less than Getty.

We have that sort of give and take with a lot of papers.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I called Getty when I first got to my current gig and they wanted something like $800 a month for a subscription. Can anyone fill me in on what your paper pays?

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Simply awesome DD.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for the laughs, DD!

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

hell, just do what my old stop did. steal the photo off the web. what was more frustrating than the practices of my "boss" was that a.p. did nothing when they were alerted that this was common practice.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

I know this pissing match could go on all day about who's paper is worse, but check this...

Back in March or April, our company (small, two daily papers and a handful of weekly ones) decided to cut costs, they were going to shit can all four of our fulltime photogs. They did offer two part-time with no benefits. One accepted, one told them where they could shove the long lens.

Long story short, a bunch of untrained (except for a 30-minute crash course) reporters, including sports, are now running around our area with $2,500 cameras trying to take pictures...It's ridiculous.

9. corey375

corey375 New Member

Sconnie, I'm going to tell Uncle Ron you're saying bad things about him.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We just got aa Nikon D300. It's awesome. I use it, but I've taken my own pics for a lot of things. We have a guy who shoots football and basketball so I can concentrate on those stories. I generally shoot soccer, tennis, golf, volleyball...stuff like that, where you can set your camera down for a second and catch up on the stats.

The rest of the staff is intimidated by it, though. They know they don't want to use the point-and-shoots. But they still use the D70 because they're more comfortable with it.

Out sister paper has three good Nikons. One part-time runs a photography business, so he uses them. As far as I know, the others except for the ME use the point-and-shoots.

Draft saved Draft deleted