1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My newspaper is a joke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Traveling, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Traveling

Traveling Member

Without revealing too much, we had a subject from our area who is doing quite well in an international event, attaining a distinction he very well might not ever reach again in his career.

For some reason, AP didn't shoot our guy today but Getty Images did. One photo, a measly $112 for our 40K or so newspaper. Care to guess what the ME said to that decision?

Naturally, we're determined to give our readers the best local coverage they can receive.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

So the story will run with no art?

Head shot? :( File photo? :p

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Subscribing to Getty Images has been a lifesaver for us.

Although I don't know why we don't subscribe to their creative images. Instead, we use photos.com

4. Traveling

Traveling Member

Mug shot. I despise file art, more so for this situation, one that screams we're too cheap to find anything current.

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Your readers won't see it that way, though. They'll just see a picture of someone in the story.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Join the group. Getty might as well be peddling nukes for all the likelihood we'll ever do business with them again.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Area Man Sets American Record in Javelin Throw

[​IMG]

From Staff Reports
    Harry Dong, a native of Douche Falls, broke the American record in the javelin yesterday at the We Aren't Quite The Champions Freddy Mercury Memorial Track meet with a throw of 92.01 meters, eclipsing Beux Greer's previous mark of 91.29.

Dong -- shown here in this artist's rendition because it was cheaper to pay some out-of-work grad student $20 to do this as opposed to buying a photo from Getty Images -- set the record while wearing his lucky green boots with gold socks and said he looked forward to buying a drink for some provably hot chicks with his meager winnings, and if that didn't work out, possibly a prostitute.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Area Man rocks!

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid, dd.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Demonstrably.

11. Traveling

Traveling Member

UPDATE: ME relents, purchases photo for $90 after Getty discount. Newspaper still sucks.

That said, news editor, upon hearing original cost, actually joked about putting in an "artist's rendition" of aforementioned subject.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

90 bucks? That's six freelance assignments for Logan.

You need to get some rubbing compound and try to erase where you keyed the ME's car, Travel.

Draft saved Draft deleted