1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My new boss

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Mar 22, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Don't you just love it when a unrelenting parent thinks that paying 50 cents for the paper makes him/her your Managing Editor. Ughh.

Dealing with one of the worst I've encountered in nearly 15 years of this job...and get this, it's dance team. Whoopee. Everything from daily checks to see if I've called the coach, to constant reminders about upcoming practices and wanting to know when I would be there to do interviews, to now suggesting she throw the idea to other staffers.

I've been cordial in replies, and assured her the story would get what coverage it merited once we saw how they finished at the state competition. They ended up 11th out of 13 teams. Hello, sports briefs...looking forward to that phone call in the morning :)

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Give her the number of a swim mom, a cross-country dad and the cheerleading coach. Maybe they can start a support group.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dance team ... now that's a new one.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

At least when I'm asked to cover a dance team, they actually win something.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's an activity. An athletic activity, but not a sport. Lady, try the features section.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There has to be some way to politely explain to parents what constitutes as news.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

"Hi, Ms. Dance Parent, it's LOCALREPORTER from the Podunk Press,

I just wanted to let you know that we will be unable to cover this weekend's spirit fest/camp out smore fest/dance jubilation party. Unfortunately, we no longer have the staff to send to as many events as we would like. If you'd like to, please feel free to submit photos, results and a recap and, space permitting, we'll publish it as soon as we can. Thank you and have a nice day."

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tell the caller that you are very sorry but that your religious principles dictate that you don't give coverage to young ladies gyrating in a sexually suggestive way to hip-hop music, while wearing hair extensions, glittery makeup and little else.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The ongoing feud between the dance team and cheerleading squad at my high school was always good for a few laughs.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It seems that the dance team has relegated the cheerleading team to second-class status in many schools.

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Well, it was quite the opposite at my high school. This was ten years ago, so I don't know how things have changed.

The dance team was made up of two parts. The first was African-American girls that actually wanted to be on the dance team. The other part was made up of the white girls that didn't make the cheerleading squad. The white girls were routinely whining about a lack of recognition.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At my son's school, the dance team is front and center at football games cheering on the crowd. The cheerleaders are off to the side.

I think it may stem from cheerleading being more competitive so that looks aren't as big a factor as they maybe used to be and gymnastics experience and size are huge factors.

Whereas, the dance team seems to attract the popular hotties and wannabes.

Draft saved Draft deleted