1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Name Is Earl

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When did the new season start?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

It didn't, I'm watching the re-runs.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh. Good.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's hilarious. Set in present day (as the Y2K backflash episode should have suggested). Just redneck country. You just have to accept it for being cartoonish. Let's face it, the guy won $100K and has spent tons of it in one season.
    It's just dern funny

Hey Crabman!

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Hey Earl!

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Good to catch on to a hot show. This "Cheers" I saw the other night looks really promising, too.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haven't seen the Y2K episode yet. as I noted earlier, I am WAAAAAAAAY late on the bandwagon.

And HC, I didn't mean to give a negative connotation to pay phones. It's just been a long time since I saw anyone using a pay phone.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The Earl-Office combo is the best hour of comedy you'll find on TV right now. That's not saying much given the state of comedy on TV right now, but those two shows would hold their own against much tougher competition.

Earl, to me, is a rarity among TV shows. Here's a show about a simple guy with simple friends who is trying to do right. Week after week, the show manages to combine a rather decent message with good comedy. Pulling both of those off and still having a good, well-written, well-acted, lilkeable show ain't easy.

And if Jaime Pressly doesn't win an Emmy, there's something wrong. She might be southern as hell, but her work on that show is excellent.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Great analysis Dog. [/Francesca] It's amazing a show about non-beautiful people (Pressly is made up as trailer park trash which, uhh, as noted earlier, may not be that much of a stretch) gets some play on a network.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You also gotta give some props to Ethan Suplee who plays Randy. If you pay very close attention, you'll realize that he's unbelievably funny. Some of his lines, which are often delivered in not much more than a whisper as he's talking to himself, he manages to pull them off with a believability that'll make you laugh your ass off.

But the line of the year came from Pressly. I believe it was the episode in which they were all trying to win the car by seeing who could keep their hand on it the longest. Her and the maid get into this spat and the maid spouts off several lines in Spanish. Joy just looks at her and says, "I'm sorry, honey, I don't speak maid."

Great show.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's excellent, but he'll always be the bully-who-turns-out-to-be-kind on Boy Meets World to me. :D

Dude had a receding hairline even then.

Tonight's episode was the one where he tried to find a real job. He goes to a hospital and is told he'll be shaving people before surgery. He says "Oh yeah, you've got to have a clean face before you're operated on!" Doctor goes "It's not the face you're shaving. He's having a vascetomy." And the guy kicks his legs up as Randy bolts.

I laughed for about five minutes.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He'll always be the soulful white-guy singer in "Remember the Titans" to me!

Draft saved Draft deleted