1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My MVP Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 28, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

@jeffpearlman -- jeffpearlman

Curtis Granderson has more than earned AL MVP honors.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

OK Yankee fan boy, I'll bite:

Posada - The weakest AL MVP race in decades. He still didn't deserve it. Giambi and Soriano had better seasons ON HIS TEAM.

Jeter in 1999 -- Have you seen the numbers that everyone else put up that year? Jeter had a great year but finishing 6th in the MVP voting was about right.
    Jeter in 2006 -- Morneau edged him in OPS+, but that was probably a toss-up.
    Jeter in 2009 -- No. Mauer was the best player in the league that year, period.

Pettitte's postseason accolades are completely irrelevant here.

Rivera is the greatest closer in the history of the game. But he finishes the job. It takes a lot of work to even get it to him. That's why he's never won the Cy Young.

As for the Hall of Fame, it'd be amazing if the Core Four all went in together, because two of them aren't getting in at all.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It should. If it's not MVP, we don't have to worry about voting on the award based on someone giving a boost to a winning team. It then clearly becomes an award for the player with the best stats, however one interprets that.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You left out The Captain. Manky Jimy is not happy with you right now.

5. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Relievers should never win the MVP award. I don't care how dominant they can be, still aren't as valuable as guys who throw 200+ innings.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sometimes, 70 really important innings > 200 regular innings. Not often, but it does happen.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Snickering at the "It's not the Hall of Pretty Good" argument only makes you look bad. It's the most legitimate argument out there about that issue.

I'm not going to name specific names, because you'll always find someone arguing for somebody ridiculous. But if you want the second level in Cooperstown, it's your flaw. Only cheapens it.

Guess it doesn't really matter, since the BWAA insists on continuing to play its "first ballot means something" game. There's the second legitimate argument that can be sneezed at.

Starters affect one game in every five. Lights-out closers affect at least one in every three.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The first ballot nonsense is awful and among the reasons why fans hate the media. That sort of arrogance is shameful.

9. jr/shotglass

Amen, my man. And that is exactly what it is -- arrogance that they believe their artificial caste system should be blindly acknowledged.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Shotty, but the best starting pitchers are involved in more plate appearances than even the best hitters. Sometimes by hundreds more each season.

11. jr/shotglass

A very valid point, FH. But they still have NO affect on four out of every five games. I think that overrides the other fact.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The thing with closers is by the time they come into the game, it's very often decided.

The best closers in baseball convert maybe 95 percent of their chances in a season. A mediocre one will convert about 80 percent. So how many games different is that? Four or five?

Meanwhile if you take An ace starter and compare him to a typical fourth starter, what's the difference in a team's record over his 32 or 33 starts? Its probably 8-10 games.

That's why every closer is a failed starter. All of them. Even Mariano Rivera.

Not saying a closer can't win the Cy occasionally (I voted for Gagne in 03), but it should be rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted