1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My MVP Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 28, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I used to believe that the MVP should come from a contending team unless someone from a non-contender was far ahead of the pack. Now, I have to decided to pretty much go by who is the player who adds the most to his team, without regard for place in the standings.

I understand that it's more valuable to push your team from 90 to 95 wins than it is from 70 to 75, but I have a hard time penalizing a guy because of his teammates or his division. (The Rays have about the same record as the Rangers.)

If two guys are essentially tied in terms of value, but one guy's team did better, I think that's a fine tie-breaker.

I realize I'm probably in the minority among voters. Like I said, I didn't used to think that way, but I've come around.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I think that view is outdated. Andre Dawson's win in 1987 is now considered one of the worst MVP selections ever.

The biggest travesty was in 2003 - ARod won on a last place team and Delgado was #2 playing on a 3rd place team. Remove them and the #3 vote-getter, Jorge Posada, wins.

It's absurd that none of the Core Four have ever won an MVP or CY.

3. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I stopped taking your ballot seriously when you didn't have either Bautista or Kemp on it. I really, really, really hope you're not a real voter.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I don't have an MVP vote this year.

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

The reason why Dawson is considered one of the worst MVP selections is because it shows a stunning lack of understanding of statistics and value. Dawson's ability to get on base was mediocre at best. His power was also overstated. Despite the 49 homers his lack of doubles and triples resulted him in being just sixth in slugging (behind MVP candidates such as Jack Clark, Will Clark, Strawberry and Eric Davis). Add in steals and defense and you can argue Dawson wasn't even among the 10 best hitters that season.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As of today, recognizing the season has a month, and the most important month at that, left, I'd pick Verlander, and would certainly be satisfied if Gonzalez, Pedroia or Granderson won instead.

7. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

Kemp has an outside shot at the triple crown and he's not even in your top 10? That's a joke.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

agreed, michael. though i'd expand yanks candidates to granderson and cano. curious why you think pedroia is ahead of ellsbury in bosox country?

although i lean toward an everyday player winning mvp, verlander has been exceptional enough to merit the exception. plus, there is a split among even bosox and yankee fans over who is their team's mvp, with several players having worthy seasons.

in '78, ron guidry had the best season i've ever seen from a starting pitcher and was certainly mvp worthy -- except jim rice had a MONSTER year, so there was no argument when voters split the baby. the number of legi, everyday mvp candidates has to help verlander, agreed?

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

eckersley in '92 for a.l.; n.l. hasn't had one since gibson in '68, which surprised me. i woulda thought the no-dh league -- known as a 'pitcher's league' -- would've had one more recently....

the other post-season award debate has always been: should the cy young award go to a reliever?

as for manky's whine that it's stunning or wrong that none of the yanks 'core four' has ever been mvp is silly (what a surprise). they've never had one deserving, 'cause their success was always a balanced act. what, you want 'jetes' to get a lifetime achievement mvp award? it doesn't go that way.

and if any yank deserves such a thing it's rivera, clearly the mvp and most irreplaceable of the 'core four' or any other yankees....

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He should be pitching better. Then his team would be in contention.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Well, they do have the NL Cy Young favorite, too....

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

The Core Four have never had a deserving candidate for MVP or CY?

Posada should've won in 2003. He's had several other great years and is building his Hall of Fame case.

Jeter should've won in 1999, 2006, and 2009.

Pettitte is the all time leader in postseason wins.

Rivera should already have 3 or 4 Cy Young awards. I don't care that he only pitches 80 innings, no other pitcher has the impact he has.

I think it would be fitting if one day they all go into the Hall of Fame together (add in Bernie Williams too).

Draft saved Draft deleted