1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My MVP Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 28, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I might actually support him for MVP, he's having an awesome year. It all depends how the last month plays out.

And you heard it here first: Jeter will get some MVP love from the voters this year. People love a good story and there has been none better than Jeter's resurgence in the 2nd half.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wish they'd just call it Player of the Year, so we wouldn't have to do this silly parsing year after year. I do agree that someone on a horrible team really shouldn't win a Most Valuable Player award, unless we care that a team would have won 45, not 58 games without him. But could he win Player of the Year? Absolutely.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Idiot.

Asdrubal Cabrera's team has a worse record than Bautista's.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

MLB actually has something like that, the Hank Aaron award. The only problem is the award hasn't really caught on, probably because they've changed the way winners are selected 3 times since 1999. They should turn it over to the BBWAA as they do with the other major awards.

The funny thing is, for an award that goes to the best hitter regardless of how their team performed Derek Jeter has won twice.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Really?

Toronto is 66-67 and 16 games out of first.

Cleveland is 65 and 65 and 6.5 games out. They also added a 600 HR guy last week. I'd say they are an even bet to be playing in October

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

How about someone else posts their ballot?

This is an interesting year, unlike most years I have no idea who will win the MVP. There are at least 5 legit candidates in each league.

With no one standing above the pack in the AL I'm almost ready to say give it to Jeter as a lifetime achievement award. But that might be selling him short as he still has good years ahead of him.

7. mb

mb Active Member

Yes. Derek Jeter should definitely be the MVP.

And I have no idea why I'm even bothering with this troll/sockpuppet/thread.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

No I don't think he should definitely be the MVP. He does not have the best stats among contending teams. But I could see Cano, Grandy, Pedoria, Ellsbury and A-Gon splitting the votes and Jeter slipping in the back door.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

A neighbor's?

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Who is the oldest player to win MVP for the first time?

Jeter is 37, I'm wondering if there's been anyone older.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And your stupid contention for why Cleveland is contending is b/c of Asdrubal Cabrera. Has nothing to do with a sucky division.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Seeing as how we still have to hear "It's not the Hall of Pretty Good" for the Hall of Fame, I think renaming the award will have no effect on the existence of inane semantic arguments.

Draft saved Draft deleted