1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My mother was right - stay off carnival rides

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 17, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/carnival-ride-collapses-injuring-dozens/20080517083209990001?icid=100214839x1202336576x1200094204

She never trusted the people who took them apart and put them together. Odds on a few bolts getting lost along the way? Probably pretty good.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I blame the jumping frog.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That made me giggle.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My mom used to try to dissuade me from getting on carnival rides by telling me stories about Ferris wheels coming of the axle and rolling down Main Street.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm 100 percent with your mom on this issue. What is the upside of a successful carnival ride? A few momentary thrills? The downside is death, which makes the risk-reward ratio a little lopsided.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Your Mom saw "1941" once too often.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is retching a sausage on a stick on your neighbor an upside or downside?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I can do that even without the rides. Some recent carnival fair in Texas? Fried Twinkies and chicken fried bacon. <glump!>

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Seeing the folks running carnivals, I'm not sure I'd trust them to take my ticket properly

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Anyone seen these guys lately?

[​IMG]

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Probably depends on how well you like your neighbor and where exactly the stick ends up.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bart: We're natural-born Carnies, Dad. If only we weren't tied down with a family.
    Homer: Yeah. We could start our own game, where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems.

Draft saved Draft deleted