1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My mom and step-father are moving to South Carolina - advice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Depends on which Beaufort we're discussing. Beaufort, North Carolina (BO-furt) is a nice little riverside community. A little different from Beaufort, South Carolina (BYOO-furt).

2. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I'm referencing the SC version, Sam.

It's a little town. The downtown is on the water and has a few festivals throughout the year. It's quite nice.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Will have to second the thought on Myrtle Beach, but it's VERY expensive. My wife and I try to get there once a year during biker week (which is our anniversary on a wacky coincidence) but we haven't been able to go since moving back to Oklahoma.

Hey Sam, what about New Bern? Haven't been there in a long time and was wondering.
    Also, Jacksonville is on the N.C. coast but it's a military town and I think it's pretty expensive too. I transmitted a story there from the newspaper and it was pretty nice for a Freedom shop.
    Any other advice I could give would be north of where you want to be.
    Except this- Stay away from South of the Border, unless you are in for a chuckle. What a tourist trap it is.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

B-b-b-but Dillon and Lumberton are the prime places in the Carolinas. Uhhh ... no.

New Bern still has a nice rustic feel to it, especially by the Trent River, but not sure I'd want to live there. I grew up about an hour west of New Bern.

Jax? No thanks ... it's not the military presence - I'm a military brat - but I really don't see what makes it so wonderful.

Myrtle Beach? Overrated.

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Sir, I respectfully disagree with your talk of Myrtle Beach. Maybe it's because the wife and I NEVER go out, but we love that city and want to go every chance we get. However, we are in our 20's and act like we are in our 60's. Our favorite things to do are to play mini golf and sit on the beach with our pug taking in the sounds of the ocean. Oh, and watch the strippers stand outside the clubs wearing bikinis and trying to coax the tourists to come into their club when there are more than three handfuls for a distinguishing perv to choose from.

Draft saved Draft deleted