1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My mom and step-father are moving to South Carolina - advice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Mar 15, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, I said the ones I saw last time I was there must have been my imagination. What more do you want?

Seriously, the fact that you live there doesn't change what I saw last time I visited, unless the last of them disappeared over the past 14 months.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

dude beat you to the punch Mizzou ... of course he wasn't on his hands and knees blowin' the Bear, drinkin' Early Times and banging his cousin while he was droppin' $4 on a Confederate flag at the nearby Stuckey's

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is going to sound wacky as hell, but what about Clemson? Even with the university, it is still very much a small town, but close enough to Greenville to do city stuff. You've got built-in entertainment options with the arts and sports, you're up in the mountains and right on a big old lake, and the real estate is more likely to hold a stable value. They might want to clear out for 6-7 weekends in the fall, but otherwise I think that could actually work well.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My folks are in Mount Pleasant and they're real estate agents so if your folks need help, please shoot me a PM :)

Seriously, I love Charleston and that whole area. My family moved there from Atlanta when I was in college, and I wished they had done so a decade earlier. I'll also second the thoughts on Greenville; my wife had a promising job offer there last year and we almost jumped on it after visiting the town for a weekend.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's hard to knock Charleston and the immediate surrounding area (the land areas, anyway ... know some smart aleck will try an ocean joke). Also, Greenville was a nice area the half-dozen times I was there for things either work- or school-related.

The above suggestions work very well. I was down there for a while, but if not for work and a few choice quality colleagues, I couldn't really recommend that region of the state.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You know, I wanted them to look closer at North Carolina, but they said it was too pricy close to the ocean.

Plus, isn't there only one mid-sized city close to the ocean in North Carolina?

7. Sam Mills 51

I have my doubts that beach houses around Charleston are any more affordable than many on the coast of North Carolina.

Wilmington - the decent-sized city I think you're referring to - is a pretty nice area that is prone to facing more than its share of hurricanes and tropical storms. Brunswick County, between Wilmington and the South Carolina border, is a burgeoning residential area.

The Outer Banks and areas east of Elizabeth City are nice, but too remote for my tastes (as if I could afford ANYTHING near the coast).

No way should anyone discourage Mount Pleasant, Summerville and Charleston in South Carolina. But I have my doubts those areas are much, if any, cheaper than the better spots in North Carolina.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Morehead City is somewhat mid-sized. But, yeah, Wilmington is really the only one.

9. Sam Mills 51

Depends on one's definition of mid-sized. Morehead City is obviously more than a crossroads, but not exactly a flourishing metropolis.

Where I grew up, take the backroads and go to Emerald Isle, anyway. Nicer and a beachier (is that a word?) feel than up Bogue Island near Morehead City.

10. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Depending on how small they want, Beaufort is nice. It's obviously a much smaller town, but it's one of my favorite places in the south.

And it only has a light dusting of retarded good ol' boys.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Obviously, you weren't in the Marines. :D

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My brother lived in Anderson and Easley -- both upsate and near Greenville. They didn't seem like bad places.

Draft saved Draft deleted