1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My mom and step-father are moving to South Carolina - advice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Mar 15, 2009.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

agreed. stay close to the ocean. once you get inland, it's hell on earth.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They were talking about Summerville this weekend, and everything that I have read here and found online makes me think that might be a rock solid choice.

It's 45 minutes from Folly Beach, there is minor league baseball in the summer and minor league hockey in the winter. I am also looking forward to tearing up the Santee golf courses.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Buy a Confederate flag

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well, my family was in Europe when that went down, so we really do not have a dog in the Yankee/Rebel fight.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Another fucking wise guy. Just what we need.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This place and Pumpkintown are about the only two spots I've ever stopped in South Carolina. I wouldn't recommend living in either one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. three_bags_full

When I read your post, I swear I thought it read, "Blumpkintown."

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ha! Well, there were some bumpkins there. Maybe they call them blumpkins in that part of the state.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was a cheap shot, but to be fair, I have seen Confederate flags in Summerville. There are some people in South Carolina who are proud of that part of their history. Not a lot of them, and judge them how you like, but they do exist. As I mentioned, I have family in Summerville. I have spent quite a bit of time there and I love visiting, though I confess I am occasionally taken by surprise by what I see.

I once went into the home in Charleston for a party and found myself facing a very large portrait of Robert E. Lee. Later that evening, while showing his very small son the portrait, my brother-in-law had the following discussion. He swears the other guy was dead serious.

Large gentleman: "The South won that war."
    My brother-in-law: "How do you figure?"
    Large gentleman, narrowing his eyes and hardening his voice: "The South WON that war."

At this point my brother-in-law smiled and took his son elsewhere.

10. three_bags_full

Ha.

I just hate it when people act like racists only live in the South.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And where exactly did OOP even imply that?

12. three_bags_full

He didn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted