1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My mom and step-father are moving to South Carolina - advice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Mar 15, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was told yesterday that in a year or two they will be leaving Western PA for a warmer climate, and they chose South Carolina over a few other states as the destination.

They like the warm weather and the tax-friendly nature of the state for people about to retire.

So, SCSportsJournalists.com, where should they move?

They are looking for a modest house in a smaller town. They want comforts, but they do not want to be in the inner city or out in the sticks. Is there a midpoint? They are looking for good value for their dollar as well. I would prefer them to be close to the water (45 minute drive or less).

They are looking seriously at one location, but I want to see if it pops up here as a suggestion.

So, what do you think?

If you suggest a large metro area, please be specific with the region of the city.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses. One of the great things about this board is the quality of suggestions in threads like this one.

2. mb

mb Active Member

Summerville.

Charleston area, but not so close as to be paying Charleston prices.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I second mb's suggestion. I have family in Summerville, including one Western PA native who loves it there, so I am speaking from first-hand experience of many visits. It is close enough to spend time in Charleston, but not in the city or in the sticks.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

A third vote for Summerville.

Although, you can't really go wrong with Charleston, other than the annoying threat of a hurricane.

5. Summerville is nice. It's somewhat of a bedroom community, especially for young families. I would definitely recommend that they look at Daniel Island and Mt. Pleasant as well. Those places can be more pricey, but it's a buyer's market right now for people with some cash-in-hand.

Greenville is also some nice territory. Great downtown, near the mountains. 3-4 hours from the ocean but they have a couple of nice lakes.

6. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

And if a more inland approach is required, try Greevnille.

Neat little town and only about 1 1/2 hours from Charlestion

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Mount Pleasant, Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms.... great areas around Charleston. Don't know what they want to spend, though.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Isle of Palms is beautiful, but kinda pricey if I remember correctly.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Stay away from anywhere near Columbia.

10. KG

KG Active Member

You guys are making me want to move to Summerville.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ninety minutes? How fast do you drive?

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mustardbased. Shit. Now I get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted