1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My least favorite lede cliche

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

In the distance, a child is crying. Fatherless ... a bastard child, perhaps.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're right, Doc.
    Every time I see that damn lede, I just cringe.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I hate ledes that speak some vague truth about sports in general. Completely lazy.

"Conventional wisdom in football is that the team that asserts itself early will generally win. That's exactly what Podunk High did last night."

I see this type of shit way too often.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's AP deadline stuff. It's meant to be thorough and quick. If it happens to be clever and original, that's good, but it's well down on the list of priorities.

How many threads are there on these boards screaming. "Where is the lead on (whatever)?" The idea is to get product out as quickly as possible.

In that context, sometimes the writer falls back on something that's too familiar. Or else the writer tries something creative, the desk decides that doesn't work and changes it to something that's too familiar. That happens, too.

The people who work for the AP know they'll get screeching phone calls from Terry Taylor saying, "Where is the lead?" not, "Why isn't this lead more original?"

5. fatking

fatking New Member

"No _____, no problem, as the Blanks rolled to 35-24 victory."

6. Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizan.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

"It was a tale of two writers at the AP..."

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Somewhere, Joe Jerkwater is smiling.

9. Somewhere, Bo Schembecher is frowning.

10. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

It's official.

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly. I'd rather just see the story start: Jimmy Smith scored a season-high 45 points as Team A beat Team B 88-75.

The ledes that speak in vague truths are so trite and bad.

12. If John Madden were a reporter:
    Conventional wisdom in football is that if you throw the ball and you catch it in the end zone and it's not out of bounds, than that's gonna be a touchdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted