1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My lead from tonight...

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by slappy4428, Mar 1, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

tl;dr

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If I had ever done it in seven years of writing, I would have at least used the correct lyrics. It's "more, more, more," not "gone, gone, gone."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I took liberties... it's what happens when you try to capture the spirit of the thing

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Capturing the spirit" is a very subjective thing. A lot of your readers will love it and a lot (like me) will find it dense and unreadable. If you are okay with that, your call.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not crazy about the Rebel yell reference but I have an even bigger problem with the cliched "drained another triple."

I'm also not sure if "spotted up" is the right term. I always think of spotting up as a guy without the ball going to a spot, and getting a pass for a catch-and-shoot.
    A guy already dribbling doesn't "spot up," he might square up.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not to open a huge can of worms here, but when it comes to gamers filed on deadline, I tend to go very light on the delete key.

Having done quite a bit of reporting and writing before joining the desk, my thoughts on editing news or sports stories goes like this:

1. The reporter was there; I wasn't.

2. His or her name is on the story; mine isn't.

That's not to say copy editors don't ask reporters to track down factual errors or to fix holes in stories. Obviously, that's our job.

But when it comes to matters of style or story angles, you don't rewrite the story for them.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wasn't either, since it tends to lean as an ESPN term. But in two grafs like that, I just hate to use 3 pointer. Again.
    Spot up to me was a sudden square up. Was way I've always used it.
    But yours is an opinion I value.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Should the 's' on Jones have an apostrophe?

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

No. Unless Bob Jones is a slaveowner.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I probably would've used pulled up, but that's just a minor thing.

I'll be honest, I didn't get the musical reference, but I don't have a problem with trying it. I like to try things in stories and get away from writing a straight AP gamer.

I use musical/movie/pop culture references all the time in headlines because my paper is very loose in its headline style and encourages creativity.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this offends me.

The lede/story was posted in Writers Workshop - a forum for feedback. If only some people's opinions are valued, why open it up to everyone?

From my reading, the people who would have used different words explained why. Nothing came across to me as condescending.

It's a forum for critiqiuing; take or leave what's said but just because you don't like what someone says doesn't mean it's not valuable.

12. Notepad

Notepad Member

Oh, yes, "the spirit of the thing."
    I tend to think of "the spirit of the thing" as accuracy.

Draft saved Draft deleted