1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My last cigarette was Friday at 7 PM.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Since my junior year in high school, the longest I've gone without a cigarette is 21 days, that was 6 years ago. It's been 3 1/2 days, second longest break in my life, and I'm doing pretty well.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Keep up the good fight, sir.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Strength to you. Staying quit will be the best thing you do for yourself.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The only smoking I do is half a dozen cigars a year during poker games with the guys, so I have no experience in this. But if I guess if it were easy, then everyone would be doing it. I wish you nothing but the best of luck! You can do it; I know you can!!

5. Good luck. What are you using to help? Anything?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I quit cold turkey in early December 1993 -- had been smoking about 2.5 packs a day. The first few weeks were difficult, I walked around in a dense mental fog, really felt I'd lost about 30 points off my IQ. Sometimes I still get a fleeting desire -- there doesn't seem to be a consistent trigger -- but it passes quickly.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My grandpa became addicted to cigarettes and hard alcohol in World War II, and for about 25 years, he drank and he smoke on a regular basis. One day, my grandma said, he just quit both of them and never looked back -- as far as she can tell. I was probably prouder of that than I was of his time in the service for whatever reason.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Keep it up!!!

I haven't had a cigarette since just before midnight on September 30 (or minutes before October 1). I've felt great other than that first week or so, but every now and then it after some activity it feels like I'm still smoking. I get an urge every now and then, but they're not hard to control or ignore.

I can't see myself going back, but I've said that about 100 times or so since I started just over 10 years ago. I hadn't been smoking regularly all that time, more off and on than anything else. Basically hated how I felt the next day after a night of smoking. Plus the fact that cigarettes are absolutely disgusting, too.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Good for you! Stay strong!

I smoked a pack a day for 12 years before quitting. I used the Nicoderm system for about five weeks before feeling as though I was past the worst of it. Like Frank, the mental fogs and feelings of diminished IQ were the worst of it. Saved a ton of money, about about $170 a month.

10. NotCalvinsKid

NotCalvinsKid Member

I finally quit. Smoked since 1998, sophomore year in college. Just started taking Chantix and let it do its thing. Took about a 1.5 weeks to stop. Haven't had one in 10 weeks. Feel pretty dam good

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4 days, cold turkey.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Son, I'm proud of you...quitting smoking is one of the hardest things you'll ever do. [/Homer]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.