1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My last 2 1/2 hours of eating..........

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jan 1, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was really good, Pallister. Phil Anselmo is so fried and clueless, talking about how fucked up his back is and how he and dimebag are best buds. Uhh Phil, a.) your back injury was not the worst in the history of mankind and b.) you ruined Pantera with all your solo crap.

It was worth the price of admission (or at least that month's cable bill) to hear Dimebag's girlfriend say that if Phil showed up at Dimebag's funeral, there'd be two dead bodies to bury.

That said, VH-1 crossed the line to explotiation by airing the same six seconds of frantic footage from the shooting (you never saw Dimebag or any of the victims, just people running across the stage after the shooting) over and over and over again.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I don't know if they crossed the line, it was quite effective for me. I don't know if I could watch it again.

Phil reminds me of the kid I went to high school with who completely ruined his life with drugs and is going through life in a fog.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pallister, the Pantera BTM is on again Friday night/Saturday morning at 1 am on VH1 Classic. I can see if my VCR still works if you're interested.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Thanks for the advice.

UPDATE: Dropped 4 pounds Day 1........drank 220 oz. of water. (10 20 oz. bottles) down to 264.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

4 pounds in a day. Damn, dude. You'd better be careful.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It's easy to lose 4 pounds just in water weight by drinking so much water. That's pretty normal to lose like that quickly when you're doing a complete overhaul.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The no eating after 7 p.m. thing is completely impossible for me, seeing that I work until 11 most nights and don't go to bed until 1 or 2 a.m.

Eat healthy at night, though. Sensible snacks. String cheese, fruit, a bowl of cereal ... just stay away from bingeing on bad stuff.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I usually drop 2 lbs about 12 hours after eating too much. :D

For me, the key to getting rid of the slowly-developing love handles was trying to stop eating after work. I'd be tired, hungry and driving home. I'd hit a McD drive-thru at 1 a.m. and then fall asleep when I got home. Not a good idea even if you're exercising semi-regularly. And french fries, a personal favorite, are particularly bad for me. So I try to have a side salad instead of fries when I do chose fast food.

I've tried to replace the late-night stuff with low-fat chocolate milk, a banana or a handful of baby carrots while I try to unwind at home after a desk shift.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The key to that is not eating in the hours before you go to bed. So if you typically go to bed around 11 pm, you should stop eating by 7. So that should be adjusted according to your schedule.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I started a health kick in early September without weighing. I have no idea how much I've lost, but I can wear clothing that I haven't worn for quite some time. Unfortunately, it's far from the current styles. Judging by the drop in clothing size, I'd guess 30 to 40. Since I bought a scale, 15. But I gained half of that back during the holidays and just finished erasing it again.

From my experience, there are some key foods that make it so much easier. Of course, everyone has personal tastes. What I've found is that breakfast is the key, just as the experts claim. I go for high fiber and high protein, and I don't worry too much about fat. Instead of bacon, I fry Canadian bacon, which is nearly fat free. That's a good protein. If I really want protein, I do eggs. Egg substitute is even better because it doesn't have the fat and cholesterol, and Egg Beaters has some great flavored varieties. I've also experimented with making smoothies with low-fat yogurt. But cereal is a good option as well, as it's fortified. I love oatmeal, but it's fairly expensive, at least moreso than Frosted Flakes. The idea is to get about 500-700 calories from breakfast and to make an effort to get something from all food groups in there.

I've found that juice is a terrible issue. I used to guzzle grape juice, apple juice and orange juice, but it's so high in sugar that drinking it is nearly as bad as drinking soda. But there are light versions that better. There's an OJ that mixes half sugar with half Splenda. I can't taste much difference in the sweetness, though I think it's watered down a bit. There are light grape juices as well. But I'm a big soda guy, so I stock up on diet soda.

I'm not an Adkins person, but I think there's a lot of truth to the idea of avoiding carbs, particularly those that are starchy. But I still have a baked potato now and then and the occasional pasta dish and rice. But I try to buy the whole wheat pasta and wild or brown rice. I just learned today that sweet potatoes are better for you than their starchy cousins.

I've also discovered that vegetables aren't that bad. There is a new kind that comes in a bag that you just toss into the microwave for five minutes or so. I like the ease of that. Beans are also great because they provide protein. I also eat a lot of wraps for lunch. I was shocked to learn that most ham is low in fat. So I switch up the normal turkey and chicken with some ham. And I go for the high-quality stuff since I need the added incentive of good taste. Dinner is the biggest issue for a lot of people because it's their biggest meal of the day. It's not supposed to be. Remember that what you eat at night is going to stay with your while you're sleeping and your metabolism is slowed. So eating light is a great way to go. Even better is to hit the gym before you eat dinner so that the food is gobbled right up by your body.

I shoot for 1,500 to 2,000 calories per day, but I go a little higher if I'm following my exercise routine. So, after breakfast, I have about 500 calories for lunch and dinner. With lunch, that allows for a nice salad with some meat in it or a wrap. I found a light sweet Vidalia onion dressing that I like to use. And lots of crushed red pepper. Occasionally, I'll cheat with lunch depending upon what I did for breakfast and what I plan for dinner. By cheating, I mean that I eat a high-fat food but within the calorie range. One day, that was a Nathan's dog, which was excellent. I've also done PB&J.

For dinner, I load up on veggies, and make sure that you're not eating lots of starchy things like corn and certain bean varieties. You're supposed to chow fruits and veggies like there's no tomorrow. So I go with two veggies for dinner. Then I'll couple that with a good hunk of meat, whether it be a lean beef patty, a pork chop, chicken breast or fish.

Of course, it sounds a lot easier than it is. This is what I'm supposed to eat, what will do me a lot of good. What I actually eat can vary with mood and situation. And that's where the real challenge lies. The key to avoiding the cravings is to make sure you're never running on empty. I keep a lot of healthy snacks around. There are some great rice cakes out there today. They're almost like chips now. Plus, lots of fruit for the road. But be careful with the "healthy" snacks. While baked Doritos are a great snack, I've found that I can eat almost 700 calories worth at a sitting.

Lots of luck. I hope to join you at 200 pounds, but I have 120 to go.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

You must be pissing like a motherfucker.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Like a cow on a flat rock.

Draft saved Draft deleted