1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My humbling day at the staffing agency

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blacktitleist, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Certainly I'm not saying that every temp job is bad. Far from it. In fact, more and more places are using temp agencies, because it beats hiring people during the busy seasons and then having to lay them off.

2. sostartled

sostartled Member

If you're looking for something temporary, checkout usajobs.gov. Every government agency is looking to hire people to help with the implementation of the Recovery Act and have started posting jobs (often GOOD jobs) online. And I can speak with authority on this, the government is gearing up for a huge expansion. Another option is working on the census, which can give you a couple months of work. I already work for the government, and have an excellent job, and might do some part-time census work.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Thanks sostartled. I'll check into that. My dad was telling me about checking it out.

I've expanded my job search out of the immediate area. I've decided it's what I must do to expedite getting out of the newspaper biz.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are many, many jobs on there. And some that perhaps we could perform.

But be warned. When you apply, most of the time you answer a battery of multiple-choice questions --- many quite specific and related to the position in question --- to see how qualified you are. It doesn't matter if you can "do" X or can learn to do X. The question will ask whether you have actual job experience doing X, and if you don't, you must check that answer (which, of course, carries fewer points than the other choices).

If you are among the top 10 percent of applicants based on your answers, then you might get an interview.

But in reality, you need to be in the top 4-5 percent, because federal employees and veterans get bonus points that add to their scores. And it's very difficult for a journalist to be able to score high enough on many of these applications to beat out people who actually have experience in the positions being offered (secretary, etc.)

For example, I applied for a job with a local IRS office. According to them, I "scored" an 89.7. A few days later, I got an e-mail thanking me for applying, but notifying me that a score of 94.2 was necessary to move on to the next step. I have little doubt my qualifications exceeded some people's whose "bonus" points allowed them to leapfrog me.

I have since applied to about a half-dozen other federal jobs . . . and never got as "close" as I did with the IRS application.

5. sostartled

sostartled Member

You're exactly correct. Veteran's preference adds about 10 points to every application.

The actual application process is a pain to begin with. It can take a long time and many agencies don't have very good HR people to answer questions or grade applications. But there's a effort to change. The Office of Personnel Management (which develops HR policy for the government) has begun granting agencies authorities to hire non-competitively, quicker, and without all the hoops. Government unions aren't happy because they feel that they're members should get these jobs AND keep their old jobs (held for them). So that's being worked on.

I'd certainly give applying a try. Go to job fairs, check out government Web sites, check out your state's Web site (states were the primary recipients of Recovery Act money and have a need for people to help manage it). It's hard, and oftentimes disheartening, but it'll be worth it if you find one.

Draft saved Draft deleted