1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My house just got broken into

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rick Vaughn, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Rick Vaughn

Rick Vaughn New Member

Yeah, somebody came in through our window tonight while I was covering a high school football game--stole my Xbox 360 and one of my roommates laptops. We're still in college and the neighborhood is somewhat dumpy--it's pretty much all college kids and homeless guys. But still, we're pretty pissed. I mean, I've never done anything to them, just leave us alone. Whoever it was dumb enough to leave a half full beer bottle right on the floor in the middle of our living room. The cops are coming tomorrow to get fingerprints. Anybody else ever been broken into and pissed about it?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Goddamn. That sucks. Good luck. Hope you get your stuff back.

3. I've never had my home or car broken into. I have been robbed at gunpoint.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I also hope you can find those guys and get your stuff back.

Keep an eye out -- if it's someone around you, they might look a little nervous or something whenever you're around. I'd definitely start asking questions to everyone and watch how they respond. Watch their eyes. Lots of people get shifty and look away when they're lying.

Maybe the beer bottle can help -- fingerprints and brand, too.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sad thing is, once your place has been broken into once ...

i hope you can change that pattern.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and the check's in the mail, the truck's on it's way and i promise i'll pull out before ...

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

before what?

8. Before JDV shows up and makes it all better.

9. My car was broken into my Senior year of college. They smashed a window and stole my crappy cd player. It sucked. I felt completely violated. I pretty much stopped driving the car if I could help it. The police, of course, didn't do shit and it wasn't worth filing an insurance claim. It's definitely a crappy thing to have happen and I'm sorry you have to go through it.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Strange how that happens, huh?

During my senior year of school, I rarely locked my door in a dorm nicknamed "The Ghetto." But during Homecoming weekend, my girlfriend moved in to make more room for her roommate's friends. She brought up her laptop, so she made sure I locked the door. While we were at a football game, a number of rooms on my floor were broken into and looted; Playstation 2s, Xboxs, games and DVDs were stolen. I opened my room to find my computer, DVDs and Super Nintendo were all safe.

From that point on, Mike's door was locked when he left the room.

Good luck with the retrieval.

11. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

It can happen anywhere. Mrs. Seahawk and I lived in a quiet, suburban neighborhood when we had our home broken into a couple year's ago. It was the day before Easter, and the person tried to use lawn furnture to break into a back bedroom widow, but only broke the first plate of glass and couldn't get all the way through. Instead they went around to the front door and kicked it in until it pulled the whole door jam off the interior, giving access to the home.

We had been at my folks' place that day looking after my mother, who was dying of breast cancer. We got home that night around 11:15 p.m. with the intention of returning to the folks' place the next morning for an Easter brunch, which we knew would be the last one with the whole family (Mom died a few weeks later).

Instead, we had to spend that day in our home, feeling completely violated and vulnerable. Because the entire front door area had to be replaced and redone, we couldn't leave the place unattended. It was fairly obvious to anyone passing by that there was easy access to the place, and surprisingly enough, it's not easy to find someone who fix something like that on Easter Sunday. The damage was pretty extensive. The person rifled through our stuff and knocked some things over, but all they took was a laptop. Police came and dusted and looked around, but that was the end of it. Nothing ever came of it.

So we missed out on a final holiday with Mom and had our sense of security shattered, all for a fucking laptop.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fuck. That blows, dude. Sorry to hear it. Some people are just fucks.

I had something terrifying happen to me a while ago and people blamed the city environment. But, you're right, bad shit can happen anywhere. That's what I told my friends and family, but they didn't get it, for the most part.

Draft saved Draft deleted