1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 15, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.)

Oh yeah. Awesome deal, Bubs.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p

I have nothing snarky to say about this song, because I love it. Other than a cheese ball video, this is letter-perfect. My number one pick, sadly the only number one vote it received.

13. Head Over Heels, Go Go's (17th in '84, 267 points)

3. Bubbler

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p

Time for a smoke break because this song and group are an affront to music. All THREE (Hi Double J! :D) of them!

I don't smoke, but I'm going unfiltered Lucky's for this shit.

12. Hold Me Now, Thompson Twins (21st in '84, 277 points)

4. Bubbler

Huey Lewis & The News are like a girl you had a crush on when you were younger. They seemed so effervescent at the time, so sugary good, they were irresistable.

Now we know better. The following song, a huge hit, pretty much boils down these days to whatever city your local DJ/Chrysalis slipped in that Huey Lewis failed to mention.

"In Cleveland! ... Detroit! ... Unh! Heart Of Rock 'n Roll!"

"In Milwaukee! Minneapolis! St. Louis! Indianapolis! Dayton, Ohio! Wichita, Kan.! Terre Haute! Truth or Consequences, N.M.! Flin Flon, Manitoba! Hungry Horse, Idaho!"

And Huey, your videos are too good for Youtube? Might want to re-think that stance 80s boy. I doubt your steadfast denial to keep Doin' It All For My Baby's video from the net are driving your sales up any. Dumb ass.

11. Heart Of Rock 'n Roll, Huey Lewis & The News (8th in '84, 277 points)

If anyone's still up (I timed this very poorly), we have 10 more to go!

5. Bubbler

Holy shit! Ric Ocasek is walking on water! He's Jesus!

I'll admit, I never quite got that video. Actually kind of turned me off to the song a bit. Oh well.

10. Magic, The Cars (27th in '84, 286 points)

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.)

Still up??

C'mon ... "we don't stop 'til we get to the top!"

Plus, I was checking out all the fine Jefferson Starship YouTube links off the "No Way Out" video. I'm almost beginning to dig Craig Chaquico as a guitarist ...

(Yes, that's a giant L on my forehead) ::)

7. Bubbler

I have to admit, the Sherrie from this video, Steve Perry's wife or girlfriend in real life as I recall, is pretty hot.

So what is wrong with her brain? By that I mean, why would she willingly sleep with Steve Perry?

Just look at him. His hair? It looks like black pubic hair that bunches up in your shower drain. His face is sublime, it looks like a relief map of Mauritania. I can only imagine his body is pudgy and drug-addled, probably like a cross between Keith Richards and bullshit. He's got the personality of a mean-spirited and entitled farm animal with talent to match.

What is she getting out of the deal? That cock can't be worth it.

9. Oh Sherrie, Steve Perry (4th in '84, 292 points)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know. The dude hit no. 1 with consecutive albums and was probably the biggest act in the country from 1984-87. I agree "The Heart of Rock And Roll" is cheesy and hasn't aged too well (my favorite part of the video is someone on the tour bus reading the USA Today sports section...way back when every section had the blue theme).

I also agree that Huey's the equivalent of the girlfriend on whom you look back and wonder what you were thinking. But when you didn't know any better, the sex was pretty fucking good for the time. So what that she had braces that made certain parts of the love-making experience uncomfortable, or that she wasn't into candlewax, or that the two of you thought ATM was the place that spit out money, if only your parents would trust you with your own bank account.

You were eating Spaghetti-Os and thinking it was fine fucking cuisine. And there's always going to be a certain bit of nostalgia for those simpler, more pure times.

I just compared Huey Lewis to sex. Hello bottom of the barrel.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This is a great song. Self-aggrandizing douche or not.

10. Bubbler

This video is straight from the heavy metal women-in-cages sub genre. Popularized by the Scorpions, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, and to a lesser extent, Dio, it had the influence of making teenage boys who could never get laid later create violent fantasies of keeping women in cages.

Ironically, many of those boys became willing gimps for dominatrix predators who found their cartoonish longing for S&M easy pickings for their own more fully realized S&M desires.

8. Rock You Like A Hurricane, Scorpions (20th in '84, 299 points)

11. Bubbler

You know, most of the way through this video, I'm thinking this is pro forma Duran Duran. Nothing spectacular or anything.

Then ... it hits you like a kick in the balls. The wave! I've never seen special effects like it. I'll bet George Lucas took notes.

Buh, buh, but, then the crowd got wet! It wasn't special effects at all! It was a real wave! How the hell did Duran Duran do that?

Simply amazing. Here's one of their last before the great Power Station-Arcadia schism.

7. The Reflex, Duran Duran (3rd in '84, 320 points)

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is the part in the countdown where I'd begin biting my nails, wondering if it was really possible for Night Ranger to leap from 5 to 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted