1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY! MAKE IT STOP!

CHRIST VOTERS! EVEN '84 LISTENERS WERE SICK OF IT ALREADY! IT WAS THIS CLOSE TO NOT BEING IN THE COUNTDOWN!

EPIC FOOTLOOSE FAIL!

21. Footloose, Kenny Loggins (40th in '84, 227 points)

2. Bubbler

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p

The cure! Thank you Noddy Hopper! The world needs you know more than ever to free us of this Footloose stranglehold! I take back what I said about the voters, this song exceeded its position in the '84 countdown.

Give me brainless, crunching rock for the sake of rocking! Turn this bitch way up ...

20. Run Runaway, Slade (22nd in '84, 242 points)

3. Bubbler

You know what would make a great movie? The music career of Ike and Tina Turner. God they made some soulful shit. The way they played off of each other, the love they shared must have been really pure. I'll bet they treated each other with the utmost respect, never was there a shouted voice, a raised hand, or a freebase-fueled beatdown.

The love story of the ages. Someone needs to make this movie ...

19. What's Love Got To Do With It, Tina Turner (64th in '84, 243 points)

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.)

So, what's worse? A Wang Chung video that provokes epileptic seizures, or a Wang Chung video that turns into a Creed video? Kind of a toss-up, there, isn't it?

5. Bubbler

I'm told by nearly everyone who's seen it that Streets Of Fire is one of those lost great movies I should see.

I'm skeptical. Michael Pare? Really? How does that add up? And how does Jim "I Created Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler/Bruce Weber's Careers" figure into this? I don't like the looks of this.

Here's one of the songs from an oddball soundtrack ... a good one by the dude who did Disco Replay? I guess ...

18. I Can Dream About You, Dan Hartman (43rd in '84, 244 points)

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.)

Not at all. The Creed video, by a big margin.

7. Bubbler

Things Corey Hart the musician and Corey Hart the Brewers' right fielder share ...

[​IMG]

-- Neither is currently at the peak of their powers.
    -- Neither of them can resist swinging at breaking pitches outside.
    -- Neither of them can hit in the clutch worth a shit.
    -- They're both excellent baserunners.

I actually don't know if Corey Hart the artist knows dick about baseball or if even of the above descriptions apply at all, so fuck you to Brewer Corey Hart, who is usually packed with more fail than the following song he endured a lifetime worth of grief about ...

17. Sunglasses At Night, Corey Hart (58th in '84, 245 points)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You gotta trust me dude. Streets of Fire is awesome, but only if viewed in the context of 1984, when we didn't know any better. If you try to watch it with the 2009 attitude that demands the only way to like something cheesy is to laugh at it and declare oneself superior to it all, you'll hate it.

And the soundtrack is AWESOME.

9. Bubbler

Question for anyone alive in 1984 to remember ... did you crave a doo-wop comeback? In the recesses of your mind, did you think to yourself, "Man, I really hope an artist is brave enough to revive doo-wop, because we could use a little bit more doo-wop here in the middle of 1984. If Mondale becomes president, I hope doo-wop really takes off!"

Me neither.

So why did Billy Joel think we wanted to hear his doo-wop fantasies of youth? What a self-aggrandizing cockbag.

Here's another song from Billy Joel's vanity project ... one album removed from when he was actually pretty good with far superior songs like Allentown.

16. The Longest Time, Billy Joel (15th in '84, 245 points)

10. Bubbler

I wish the following song was something else. Don't get me wrong, I like Eyes Without A Face just fine, loved it in '84.

But I wish this was Flesh For Fantasy, because that song is ridiculous. Something about Billy Idol expressing his fantasies strikes me as really funny. I know he did it in Dancing With Myself, but that was a great song and done in the spirit of goofing off. Flesh For Fantasy comes off as a "serious" take on sex. One that would make any woman actually in bed with Idol laugh her ass off in his face if he expressed whilst trying to mount her.

Anyway, here's the song that has nothing to do with any of that.

15. Eyes Without A Face, Billy Idol (13th in '84, 249 points)

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I fucking love this song, in some weird, illogical way.

12. Bubbler

When I used to watch ZZ Top videos back in the day, I wondered where all the assholes came from. The boy-done-good character that was in most of their Eliminator videos was always put upon by a bunch of dickheads in his hometown, apartment complex or gas station.

Why didn't he just move? Yeah I know, then he never would have met the ZZ Top sluts and got it on in the red ZZ Top-mobile, but imagine all of the emotional pain he would've avoided in the meantime?

He could have gone to the land of Duran Duran videos, where's he could become a gayer version of the Road Warrior troupe. Or he could have gone to the futuristic land of Rick Springfield? Anything was possible.

Here's the last of those videos, and we know now, thanks to BYH I think, that the heroine is now a reality bitch wife. Way to go ZZ Top boy-done-good, you could have been a naked, purple warrior with feathers in the Union Of The Snake video.

14. Legs, ZZ Top (30th in '84, 263 points)

Draft saved Draft deleted