1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p

Joe Jackson seemed bigger than shit 'round '82-'83 or so, then he disappeared off the face of the Earth. This song might have contributed, acceptance of soft jazz is always a sure-fire way to head down the AOR path to obscurity.

Then, Joe Jackson emerged triumphant in the 1990s ... in the movies. You remember ...

[​IMG]

Powder!

Here's Powder with You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want).

29. You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want) (25th in '84, 121 points)

2. Bubbler

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p

There's really nothing that needs to be said about this that can't be answered by the video.

Someone wake up Junkie. Here's his all-time favorite.

28. Hello, Lionel Richie (5th in '84, 129 points)

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.) Bubbler, this is great stuff ... the line about Rod Stewart growing a vagina almost made me fall out of my chair, I was laughing so hard (because it's true). And may I please add: "From Florida to Fairbanks, and from Concord to California, Re-Poll '84 is brought to you on great Internet Web sites like sportsjournalists.com. Now, on with the countdown!"

4. Bubbler

No song in the countdown was more fascinating than this one-hit wonder by Danish group Laid Back.

It received four first place votes, only two other songs in the countdown had more. It received more first-place love than hits by Bruce Springsteen, Duran Duran, Madonna, Van Halen and ZZ Top.

Yet of the 44 voters, 34 didn't vote for it at all. No other song had such wide acceptance or lack thereof.

Love it or hate it, here's White Horse by Laid Back.

27. White Horse, Laid Back (54th in '84, 137 points)

5. Bubbler

This song was apparently beloved by many of you. I barely remember it, so instead of waxing at length about some bullshit, I might as well post this ...

[​IMG]

Here's Icicle Works with a song I barely recall at all ...

26. Whisper To A Scream, Icicle Works (35h in '84, 158 points)

6. Bubbler

You know, had I been able to physically masturbate in 1984, Berlin would have been prime spank material. Those of you who could flog the dolphin in '84 probably look upon this song very fondly, besides the fact it's a damn good tune.

Berlin. Get your Players With Yourself Card out and let fly.

25. No More Words, Berlin (38th in '84, 163 points)

7. Bubbler

I shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but this next song blows ...

... wait a minute, what the hell is going on this video? Is she haunted by naked mannequins? It's like she's got the disco version of the milk bar in Clockwork Orange following her around. Meanwhile, the Phantom Of The Opera (at PANTAGES THEATER! TORONTO!) is working Studio 54 and then there's a bunch of over-rambunctious mimes trying to get into her pants ...

Perhaps I should re-assess my view of this song ...

24. Self Control, Laura Branigan (16th in '84, 187 points)

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.)

This is great, Bubs.

Nice to see Weller/The Jam get some 80's love too.

9. Bubbler

I don't think Van Halen ever made a video for the next song. What a waste. No one, and I mean NO ONE, could intro a video better than David Lee Roth. The intro to Yankee Rose, for example, is much better-remembered than the song itself, and for good reason.

Here's a missed opportunity. I'm sure the Van Halen brothers had something to do with Diamond Dave's lack of a star turn. Dickheads.

23. I'll Wait, Van Halen (18th in '84, 220 points)

10. Bubbler

Wang Chung achieved fame later in the decade for Everybody Have Fun Tonight, complete with video that allegedly produced epileptics to have seizures. Wang Chung are medical terrorists!

Not sure what affliction the following song would bring on. Gout? Ponder if you will ...

22. Dance Hall Days, Wang Chung (29th in '84, 226 points)

11. Bubbler

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.)

Dirty Youtube fuckers! The original Dance Hall Days link played the video for five seconds before it reverted to a Creed song. EVIL!

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

What a creepy video that was. Apparently, the title "Wet Fever Dream" was already taken.

Also, watching that again I'm pretty sure that it inspired the scene in "Revenge of the Nerds" where Lewis fucks Betty.

Draft saved Draft deleted