1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p

You're right, Double J. They did need three band members to suck so hard.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.)

Tebow, this is great. And you're right...nobody ever owned a Howard Jones album.

3. Bubbler

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p

Next up is Illinois men's basketball coach Bruce Weber. Before he became a successful basketball coach, he went by an alias in the 70s and 80s. He was a she.

He was a female singer from England named Bonnie Tyler. They look nothing alike, but don't let appearances fool you, that gravely voice is unmistakable.

Here's Weber with one of his last hits ... the 1,894th song to hit the charts from the Footloose soundtrack.

34. Holding Out For A Hero, Bonnie Tyler (99th in '84, 99 points)

And just for fun, here's the Total Eclipse Of The Heart video. Dedicated to Poindexter for student-abuse undertones (undertones? OK maybe not), and also, because it's about 90 kinds of cheesy awesome.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Re: My heart beats silly like a big bass drum ... Re-Poll '84 (starts at 11:30 p.m.)

Loving this Bubs :D

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I almost wish this was a 1988 countdown so we could discuss the tragedy that is Henry Lee Summer, who released the classic "I Wish I Had A Girl" that year but who is now in a big heap of meth-induced trouble back home in Indiana.

[​IMG]

Drugs are bad, mmm-kay?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bubbler

The Pointer Sisters were damn funky in the 1970s. Yes We Can (originally done by Lee Dorsey) is some kick-ass shit. They didn't fall far off the mark in the 80s.

The original video for the next song ... Jump (For My Love) ... had a bunch of track athletes running around. It might have been the first video which used sports highlight footage. I could be wrong, but it was all part of 1984 Olympics fever!

Fuck you mother Russia, if you won't come to L.A., we'll puff our amateur chests about winning a bunch of medals we wouldn't stand a chance of winning if the Eastern bloc showed up. Eat a dick, Communism!

Anyway, this is the other Jump (For My Love) video, the one where the Pointer Sisters look a bit haggard.

33. Jump (For My Love), Pointer Sisters (12th in '84, 99 points)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

WOLVERINES!!!!!!

(also the summer of '84)

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hey! I owned this, fuckers!

[​IMG]

9. Bubbler

I don't have much to say about this next one other than it makes me physically ill. And I normally like brainless, catchy pop tunes.

Deniece Williams -- no, she wasn't raped by Mike Tyson, that was Desiree Washington -- with one of her one hits. Yet another from Footloose ...

32. Let's Hear It For The Boy, Deniece Williams (2nd in '84, 103 points)

No video available that I find (while Jump played in the background anyway), so here's some bullshit someone who is clearly a masochist put together ...

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You forgot the accompanying photo! #BYHfail

11. Bubbler

Paul Weller is one of those British artists that was/is hugely influential, but one who never made it big in the States. Sort of like a latter day Kinks, or Mott The Hoople, or T Rex, or Roxy Music, or ... you get the idea.

So here's a quick primer. Paul Weller was the lead singer of The Jam. They were punkers at first ...

Then Weller got into Brit-soul and the later iterations of The Jam were new wavy ...

Then Weller, in a fit that was rooted in punk (wanting The Jam to die young before age took its toll) and commercial impact (he was the face of The Jam) formed Style Council.

Early Style Council was a lot like late Jam. Here's one of the few, perhaps only, Weller songs to ever be a hit in the States. Some good shit here ...

31. My Ever Changing Moods, Style Council (31st in '84, 109 points)

12. Bubbler

GOOD GOD! WHEN WILL IT STOP? FUCKING FOOTLOOSE AGAIN! AND MAYBE THE WORST OF THE LOT! WHO THOUGHT LOVERBOY AND HEART WERE TWO TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER? IT'S THE REECE'S CUP FROM HELL!

Straight from the fallout shelter, with Fruit Roll-up and America's Line in hand ... here is Almost_Famous-dise.

30. Almost Paradise, Mike Reno & Ann Wilson (24th in '84, 118 points)

Draft saved Draft deleted