1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My greatest fear is coming true

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 15, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just leave a picnic basket out and all will be fine...
    [​IMG]

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Cubs win! Cubs win!

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Not since 1908.

5. writing irish

There are many different kinds of victories. There are times in life when a certain snack is even more important than baseball.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

You're worried about bears? Why worry about bears? They're absolutely harmless...friendly even! Why, just look at Ozzie here, coming up to me for a little affection. I just love these moments where Ozzie opens himself to me and OH MY GOD! WHAT ARE YOU DOING, OZZIE? LET GO OF ME! WHY OZZIE? WHYYYYY?? OH, THE HUMANITY! [/Timothy Treadwell]

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe he was the one from the Labatt Blue commercials from a couple of years ago.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We were hiking in the national park in July, along the edge of a large meadow. We came around a bend in the trail, and there were bears right in front of us, about 12-15 feet from us - a black bear sow and two cubs.
    The trail was along a shallow spur of the river, so I grabbed by GF's arm and we stepped off the trail down to the stream bed.
    The bears, of course, were not interested in us and kept mosying on by. The GF, though, was freaked out. When I stopped at the riverbank, she kept walking out into the water. I turn around and she's standing in the middle of the stream
    I said 'What are you standing in the middle of the stream for?'
    She said 'To get away from the bears.'
    I said 'The stream is up to your ankles. If the bear was interested in you, the stream wouldn't be much of a deterrent. Besides, how many photos and videos have you seen of bears in raging rivers catching salmon? Bears are afraid of water.'
    After that, she insisted on carrying an armful of rocks for the rest of the day, which was about another five miles of hiking. She said the rocks could be used as ranged weapons for our protection.

10. writing irish

There's Jasper...
    [​IMG]

And his alcoholic cousin from the States, the Hamm's bear.
    [​IMG]

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, I man was attacked by a bear last week not far from where we encountered the bears.
    One of the strangest attacks I've heard of, and I'm sure there are some details that I didn't get.
    Guy was chilling on a rock and dozed off. The bear was approaching and some people started yelling at him, to warn him that the bear was coming after him.
    The guy wakes up and tries to make some noise, to scare the bear off, but it bites. The people nearby rush over and help him frighten the bear off.
    I've just never heard of a bear approaching somebody like that. He must have had something in his pockets or in his pack with him - some snack or gum or something.

12. [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted