1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My great deal of the day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Aug 20, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'll admit it. I enjoy shopping at the dollar store. Not ripoff places like Family Dollar, but a true dollar store where everything is a dollar. There is one about a mile from my apartment....I like it for buying stuff like plastic cereal bowls, cleaning supplies, bar soap, etc. I stop in today and take a look at the books section, which has the usual suspects -- political campaign books (like John Kerry's "A Call to Service"), Janet Evanovich novels, children's religious books, etc. But then I spot "Chasing Tiger: The Tiger Woods' Reader" by the same guy who does the BASW series. I look at the table of contents and it includes Charles Pierce's GQ profile of Tigah "The Man, Amen." I figure that for $1, the book is worth it just for that article...also has stuff by Dave Kindred, Tony K and Gary Smith. (Book retails on Amazon for $15).

That's all. Carry on as you were. Just wanted to brag.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd pay 15 bucks just to avoid saying I shop in a dollar store.

Just kidding.

Bet that's some quality soap.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I saw Pete Rose's book in Dollar Tree for a buck once.

And yea, Pope, you're right. Family Dollar and Dollar Tree are ripoffs. Hell, most of the time, Family Dollars are located in the ghetto.

4. Moderator1

What IS a good dollar store? Just so I know. I need some soap.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Pierce's piece in GQ is one of the few great ones on Tiger out there. He's just so guarded now.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just bought soap yesterday.
    Kern's Castille — $1 a bar.
    But I bought it at Longs.

7. Moderator1

One of the few?
    Like the only.
    Name another.

"Hey Darla ****"

Great line.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

A good one is where everything is $1. I'm a bit puzzled about my soap though. It says it was made in Germany circa 1941. Is that a good sign?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Actually, Moddy, you're right. I was originally going to say "decent," but Pierce's story goes way beyond decent, and I didn't want to lump it in with the rest.

10. Moderator1

Pierce has long been my favorite working writer. I loved his book, which I forwarded to Hockeybeat. I hope he enjoyed it as much as I did.

"how my dictate?"

I came away thinking WAY more of Tiger after that story than I did before. Made him look like a human.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I couldn't agree more. It's just a shame that the piece led (directly or indirectly) to Tiger's current persona, or lack thereof.

Draft saved Draft deleted