1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My gaffe, and a classy coach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Apr 6, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does anyone print what you have just typed on paper and then reread it that way?

When I am sending out important emails, I find this helps me catch what staring at the screen does not. Someone taught me that once, and damn if it does not work for me.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

I do that religiously. Problem was, because of the CNHI F day, I was a one-man show that night. I was reading my own work... never a preferred method.

3. 93Devil

Oh, I know. Sometimes you just do not have a chance to do that, but it amazes me what I cannot see on the screen that I see on paper.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

5. I volunteer with special needs children and I can tell you some of the nicest people I know are in that field.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm so glad the dead coach was so understanding. ;)

My parents and my aunt all used to work at an institution for the mentally retarded that's now closed. It takes very special people to work with that population.

7. 93Devil

WF MFn W

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Got a good laugh at this one.

Sorry to hear about the screwup, Colton. I can see how it happens, though. At the end of a loner shift, I think even the best of us are susceptible to a little brain-fry, and the potential screwups that come with it. At least you got a funny story out of the deal.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Made me laugh out loud.

10. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Eight trillion years ago, when I worked for a small daily, we covered a local school for the deaf. Do I need to go on? Well, OK. We referred to it as the Blerghburg School for the Dead. It happens. I'm glad the coach in this case behaved like a real human being.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Doc: Agree completely. I was expecting the worst and, to be honest, felt as if I deserved it. The guy showed me why he gives so freely of his time to help challenged young people. I told him I will remember how he dealt with me in this situation when I deal with others in the future.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Colton, I'm sorry you had to go through this. Even as a reporter when you make that initial misake and it gets through you always feel like a douche.

Cutlines and subheads always need to be proofed a second time -- by a second set of eyes. You look at your own work so much that if 'fuck your mother' was in bold italics you could miss it.

BTW, some of the stories on here are great. I feel for the parents at the school for the dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted