1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My gaffe, and a classy coach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Last week, I received a team photo of our local Special Olympic softball team from the head coach. These young people are always thrilled to read their names or see their photo in the paper, so whenever they achieve something, it's nice to recognize them.

Anyway, in rewriting the cutline, he head "Head Coach" and our style is to lower case the words. Well, somehow, it came out a bit differently... as in "dead coach." Ugh. Obviously, I was mortified. It was 3:30 a.m. as I'm filing stories in our sports morgue when I discovered the error. I immediately sent an email apologizing for my mistake, making it clear 'twas me, not someone on staff, who screwed it up and spent the rest of the night an all night Sunday night feeling pretty much like pond scum.

Well, Monday morning rolls around and the coach received the email and replied. Basically, he absolved me and told me not to worry about it and thanked me for running the photo and that his kids were thrilled. No wonder the gentleman volunteers his time to work with special-needs kids... he's got a heart bigger than a catcher's mitt.

His response restored my faith a bit in people. If he ever needs a favor, as I replied to him, he need not hesitate to ask.

Finally, while the blame belongs nowhere but with me, and there's really no excuses, period, it is also a product of CNHI's corporate bastards and their payroll reduction/furloughs. While I did spellcheck the cutline, the guy who would have given the page a second set of eyeballs in addition to my own was on an F day.
  2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Joe Smith, Jimmy Jackson, Tommy Jones, Some Fucker, Pete Myers, Steve Anderson...
  3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Some Fucker's mom was thrilled, I suspect.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's because Mr. and Mrs. Fucker won't have to pay for a college scholarship.
  5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You only cover us when our coach is dead!
  6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Oh, and Colton, it's your fault. Blaming the company because someone else was on furlough is weak. You are the one who made the mistake.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

He made it clear it was his fault. Lay off him. Because he's right.
    The second pair of eyes was sliced from the budget. The company deserves the mistake it received.
    But hey, in the future, no big deal. the readers can point out the error online in their beloved comments section. No copy editors are needed. That's the new battle cry.
    Hang in there it was an honest mistake and that coach is a great person.
  8. rube

rube Active Member

Some Fucker has to be the most famous kid in journ school history.
  9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course we don't need copy editors. Just let the reporters run spell check.

What's that? Oh.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, there's that other guy, Heywood ...
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't forget the JV dead coaches. They worked hard too.
  12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Larry: I need a letter of apology from your friend.
    Jeff: Retraction, retraction!
    Larry: Retraction? What are they going to say? "We're sorry we called her a pussycat, we meant 'aunt.'" Jeff: (reading obituary) "Devoted sister, beloved pussycat." Oh, my God! This is unbelievable!
Draft saved Draft deleted