1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first real beef with Friday Night Lights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Dec 2, 2010.

1. highlander

highlander Member

I know one head football coach who would only get a drink at dinner if he went to place to eat atleast 30 miles from his school for fear of a player seeing him drink. I know that sounds silly but he wanted to set a good example for his kids.

Same team the night before the state championship game. Most of the coaches and players watched a movie in a meeting room then all went back to their rooms for the night. Flew home after the game.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Hell, we stayed overnight for state golf tournaments. There was always drinking involved. Golf.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The best part about this post is the elmo right next to it with his arms flailing.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or anytime thereafter, when he would have learned there is a running thread for this show that takes place every week in a little box in his living room.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Wait, so the drinking part of the plot bothers you, but Landry murdering the rapist and not going to jail doesn't?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

excellent point... whether this scene could happen or not, it's a tv show. let's allow for a little dramatic license on occasion. i haven't seen it but was the point of the scene players in one hotel room drinking right next to the coach's room? or was the point what players were saying and the coach was eavesdropping on, a study in teenage athletes and the stories they have to tell and will remember forever?

ain't that nitpicking...

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

After my JV season a bunch of us went with the coaches to one of the coache's Tahoe cabin and drank all the way up and while we were there. Granted it was after the season, and times are different now...

The biggest beef I had with the episode was there is no way a high school is staying at the Crown Plaza for two nights unless ESPN is fronting it.

Reminded me of the White Shadow road trip to Vegas episode.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Were the show set anywhere else, I'd agree, Dan. But two words: It's Texas.

I spent two years early in my career covering high school football down there, and it's a whole new level - in pretty much everything. I've never gotten a feel for how affluent Dillon is supposed to be... but we all know what a shithole Odessa is/was, and the way the Permian Panthers rolled. Not really that farfetched at all for the Dillon Panthers to be at the Crown, IMO.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dillon Panthers no, not far-fetched. East Dillon Lions, a school with no history of success, a school where the coach has to cover the cost of uniforms himself? Yes.

10. highlander

highlander Member

Parts of Odessa back then were pretty well off thanks the oil business.

As for East Dillon, they rode a yellow school bus five hours to play a game. Not very affluent.

Draft saved Draft deleted