1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first job interview tomorrow morning....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NQLBLQ, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have only two words for you....
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're right on time, Dripster.

3. JackS

JackS Member

I have no idea what the "right" answer to that question is.

Only one time was I ever asked that on a job interview, and I must have blustered some decent answer because I got the gig, but I have no idea what the hell I said.

And I have no idea what the hell I would say now even if I knew the question was coming.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a tricky one because you want to seem like a go-getter but not someone who would bolt at the first outside opportunity or be unhappy if -- horrors -- you were stuck in this job you are interviewing for for five years.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Acceptable?
    "Out of newspapers."

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

My first interview, the SE said he'd be disappointed if I was still there in five years, so I got lucky on that one.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Can the person asking that question say where the company sees itself in five years?

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My answer: Writing. For whom, I don't know. Hopefully an organization that has a worthwhile objective and values its employees.

9. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

So, it went well - I hope. I hear back this upcoming Monday.

I skipped out on the "eff you" tie and went with khakis as my roommate borrowed my dress shoes.

In the mean time, do you capitalize varsity or junior varsity? I haven't opened an AP book in almost a year and when I did I wasn't covering preps. I know, I know - I'm going to buy a stylebook tomorrow.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would wear that tie. Not to a job interview, though. That would be inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Don't capitalize varsity or junior varsity. Better yet, don't cover junior varsity! :D

And good luck. We're all looking for some good news these days and rooting for anybody looking for a job in this biz.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only times you would capitalize varsity is if it is at the start of the sentence or the restaurant in Atlanta.

Draft saved Draft deleted